Author Topic: Kids Osage Self Bow--Getting Started__  (Read 404 times)

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
Kids Osage Self Bow--Getting Started__
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
Well my daughters birthday just passed and I must say, she was a little upset thinking I got her a giant branch but then she realized it was a stave for building a bow.... Any way I plan on following along witht he video series from the link below that was posted a few weeks ago.(I think I attached the link correct)

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=006254;p=1#000002  

It will be a osage self bow around 48" ntn and hopefully right around 20 pound @ 18" or so. She has mentioned she wants some snake skins but we will have to see when it gets close to finishing....

I plan on taking some pictures of the stave tonight and posting it here to show the growth ring orientation. Next the lay out then the rough out so on and so forth..... I figured this could be some what of a follow along as this is my first self bow and im sure I will have plenty of questions.

I think im almost as excited as my daughter is.....

Wish me luck,  Ill keep you guys posted

Jerrod

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kids Osage Self Bow--Getting Started__
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Just take it slow and easy, then post lots of pics of your progress and don't be bashful about asking for help. Multiple sets of trained eyes are much better than just one set.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Well here is the end view of the stave I plan to use for my daugthers bow.  I have noted the growth ring that looks good to me but then agian how do I know what im looking at...LOL  I have read TBB and a bunch of other threads so to  me this is what I believe im looking for...  What do you guys think?  I was going to go with a ring closer to the top but the other side looks a little thin between the rings...

Here is half of the handle layout with the dims noted.  The dims are close to what the previous mentioned link above said he used.  I incresed them by about 1/16th each side,  I figured taking off less is better at first as I can always cut it down some more verse trying to put it back...  How does it look?

Here is the full handle layout with dims noted..

The next pic is of the tip lay out.  Pretty strait forward.  I just drew a strait line from one side of the fade down to the same side of the tip...

This is the profile view of the back of the bow .

Last but not least, looking down the stave at the full bow layout.  The photo played some tricks as it looks like the layout is a stait limb vs a pyramid shape.  The other photos show the true profile

Thats it so far.  Do you guys think im on the right track with the layout?  I know I will have to layit out agian once I chase the ring...  But I figured it would be good practice laying it out.  Also,  I figured if im on the wrong track its better to here it now vs after ive already started cutting it out...

This should be fun.  Let me know what you guys think-Jerrod

Offline Don Drake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I finished my second bow last month, both are 62" nock to nock and draw 65# and 75# at 28" and are made from osage.

I have two 36" staves that I am going to make kids bows out of and will likely start on one this weekend.

The first bow was kickin' my can, especially trying to get to the growth ring I wanted.  I gave up several times but always went back to it.

If you are using your draw knife, after you get through the sapwood, you will be able to hear a difference between the sound of the early wood and the late wood.  The late wood has a smooth sound to it and the early wood has more of a scratchy sound.  You will also be able to see the difference in color and texture between the rings.  I didn't find I needed it, but rubbing some black shoe polish on the area you're working on will make the rings stand out.  It won't hurt the finished look as you will either shave the polish off or sand it during the finishing process.

I would suggest taking a black sharpie and tracing your chosen growth ring down the length of the stave.  That will help you see where you need to get to.

There is a video by James Easter at osageorange.com that was very helpful.  He draws the bow out first as you have done, carves the stave close to the design and then takes it down to the growth ring.  I talked with him over the phone and he does it this way to have less wood to shave down to the growth ring.

Al Herrin, author of Making Cherokee Bows and Arrows, takes it down to the growth ring first and then sketches out the bow.  I like this method better.  You have more to shave, but I feel I get a better look at the grain of the stave this way before I sketch out the bow.

When things got tough and discouraging, I put it aside for a while and then pictured it in my mind and did a mental work through, then hit it again.

Good luck and have fun!!
I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow and did go forth up into the top of the mountain and did obtain food for our families and they did humble themselves before the Lord, and did give thanks unto him. 1 Nephi 16

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Got a quick question...

When I am scraping using a draw knife I'm having a hard time telling the difference between rings,  it's like I can't see them .... But I do notice a difference in texture. One is waxy and the other is more course.... Which one am I shooting for
? The course one?

Offline Lee Slikkers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
nope, the "waxy" and smooth growth ring is your target.  The early growth is porous and is the one with more texture.  Good luck, looks likes a nice layout.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Well than it's off to the next ring.    I  brought the stave over to  my folks house to work on before Sunday dinner and dindnt bring the notes..... Oh well just hope i dont shave it down to a toothpick lol... Good thing I didn't go all the way to the ring I picked originally.   Thanks for the response.  I'll keep you posted on progress-  jerrod

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
Oops double post.....

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Sorry triple post

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
You should be able to get to bows out of that stave if you piggy back.  I also like to lay out the bow, cut close to layout and then chase a ring.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Not sure what's going on...  Keeps duplicating every time I try to erase it... Last try

Offline Don Drake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Looking at the stave from the end, it is the dark ring you want to get to.  I find if I shave from the end first, I can see when I am down to the chosen ring by looking at the end of the stave.

I got one of the youth bows to the finishing point last night.  This little bow was a killer!!  I broke through the ring three times and had to start over.  The fourth time was the charm. At least didn't have much left to shave off for the belly!!

The bow is 45" nock to nock.  I cut the handle about 1.25" wide and about an 1.5" thick. I normally make the non-bending portion 8 inches long. This time I only made it six inches and it seems to work just fine.  The limbs are about .25" at the nocks. I will try to get pictures later.
I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow and did go forth up into the top of the mountain and did obtain food for our families and they did humble themselves before the Lord, and did give thanks unto him. 1 Nephi 16

Offline Don Drake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
How are doing with your youth bow?

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Been busy at work.... Hoping th make some good progress tonight and tomorrow....

Thanks for the input....

Sorry about the double post earlier.... I try to stay in touch with my new fancy phone buy not sure why it double posts......

I'll post some pics of progress.  I really appreciate all the input and advice......

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
Well it was a productive weekend on my daughters bow project.  

I Learned how to chase a ring.  Well at least I think I did, my process was like mentioned above.  I cut the profile close and then started the scraping with my new draw knife..

For me I started with a tip close to me and worked back towards the handle.  I cut trough a few rings (at the tip) until I was at my target ring.  I then would work the knife on the layered rings starting in the same motion as noted above.  It seemed to work great.  As I reached the early wood ring the late wood ring would curl right off then repeat to the next ring....  It was awesome,  after a while I was in a trance then I looked up and said " I'm done already?". I can see the addictive qualities....

I started to cut the limb thickness out but my band saw broke...  I JB welded the snot out of it so I'll give her a go tomorrow.  I'll post some pics when she gets to the tree....

Offline Don Drake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
I use my draw knife and scrapers for everything.  I turn the stave on its side and use the draw knife to carve down to the outline. I then turn it over to the other side and use the draw knife again to carve down to the outline.  Next, I lay the bow on its back and use the draw knife to shave off the belly.  I do the more detailed work with my cabinet scrapers, spoke shaver and rasp.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Alrighty,  having some difficulties both computer and the bow build...  I'll try to get the photos up ASAP but for now we will have to settle for a written progress report.

Well let's see,  I have the bow limbs shaped, corners all rounded roughly 9/16" thick,1 -1/8" at the fade and 5/16 at the tip.  The handle is rough shaped probably 90 percent to completion.  Here is were the problem is,  near one of the fades I guess I didn't pay attention to the layout.  I incorporated part of a run or dip from were the stave was split.  Basically on the belly side a corner of the fade about 3-4" long has a void were the wood was split. No idea if this can be fixed...

My thoughts were either cutt a 1/4" cove and then turn a 1/4" rowel out of scrap Osage and heat or steam form it in, glue it and then sand it smooth.  Kinda like putting in a plug...  I could then reflex the tips and put some sinew on the back possibly...

The other fought was to skinny up the fade to 7/8" and thinning the limb to try to take it out.  Just not sure how small I can go....

I'll try to get some picks posted....  What are your initial thoughts?
Or thinning the limbs and straiten by heat or steam and then backing with some boo...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©