Author Topic: I've Been Wanting to Make One Of These  (Read 304 times)

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
I've Been Wanting to Make One Of These
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Sometimes building the tools is as challenging and rewarding as the bows the tools are for.  Last year my project was the 6"x89" belt sander from a set of plans I purchased online.  This time around I planned this project out on paper  to work with the materials on hand and the to keep it within the space limitations I have in the shop.  I suppose those years designing and building houses came in handy.

I have been very pleased with the laminations purchased off KennyM with no complaints whatsoever but the bug to build another motorized shop tool just became too much to resist.  
It is double tiered to keep the motor underneath instead off to the side.  Only so many square feet to store the tools when not in use.

This was constructed out of mainly 3/4" ply glued face to face to create 1 1/2" thick material.  I could have whipped it out in quick order but the asthetics of dressing the edges with the router, paint and such drew out the build but that just makes me more pleased to have it collect dust in the garage.  :D    The bed and main foundation is oak salvaged from chairs purchased for a dollar at an auction.  The plywood was scraps.  The drum is MDF epoxied together and onto the 1/2" shaft.  The motor was a freebie so the price was right.  Only items purchased where the two radial bearings, shaft collars and the 1/2" steel rod.  I was trying to figure out the best method to raise and lower the bed and remembered the dowl rod tap and die set sitting aside needing put to use.  It made an easy screw adjuster that stays put without creep.  

The drum was surfaced with sandpaper glued to a plained oak slat but it still needs the final finish sanding using either a length of glass or masonite.  I'll have to see what I have on hand or available to b esure the drum is 100% smooth and flat.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've Been Wanting to Make One Of These
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
That's pretty cool!

:clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
More pics please! That looks fantastic!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
i love homemade tools. subscribed.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Man! You have a talent, Chris.
Sta

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, fellas.  Fish, I didn't take any more pictures so there aren't any more to post currently.  Maybe in the near future when I get a chance to grind some lams I can take a few more.  
I will tell you one thing, for the time invested it is far easier and cheaper, in a labor sense, to call KennyM and have him send you an order.  I know my glue and fiberglass will still come from him.  
It is the love of the end product, though, and the other tools I see posted on here that motivated me to put this together.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©