Author Topic: The $10 bow rack  (Read 281 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
The $10 bow rack
« on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
I've been wanting to post this for a while now but it seems time just escapes you sometimes. I threw together a lil bow rack while renovating my house with some scrap, but if you bought the materials i'm sure they'd come out to about $10. You need a couple 2 X 4's, (if you're going to paint it, who cares about grain, but if you're going to stain it, pick some stock that has some nice figure to it. Not like Scarlett Johansen figure but you know what I mean) a couple 48" dowels at 3/4" diameter, and you can get 3/4" pipe wrap from the plumbing section of your local big box store. Most folks have a drill and a 3/4" spade or forstner bit.

You can, of course, drill at an angle, but that can look like crap, and you don't need much of an angle to begin with. I also suggest lining up your two main pieces  of 2 by next to each other and marking them together with a square, try, combo square, whatever, so as to ensure a level position for your bows.

After you've measured how long you need your 2 by's to be, cut them to size and then go to town drilling. Cut your dowels into 4" pieces, and your pipe wrap into 2 1/2" pieces. Glue in place, and assemble where you want it.  I took a piece of cut-off and drilled it into my wall towards the base of the rack, so as to give it a bit of tilt to keep the bows from slipping off. The top of the rack was drilled into my sill plate. I'm sure this idea can be retrofitted to your particular application.

I'm sure you can make this for $5, and just hang it horizontally, and then hang your bows by the string, but I don't care much for that method. Here's what you get:

Hope this helps some folks on a tight budget solve a good problem to have... where to keep your goodies! Tradbower (Pete) you may recognize the last bow from last year's trade. I STILL love shooting her and showing her off to my friends. Kip, you may notice my first ever traditional bow which I got from you at the top, my K-Mag.

Thanks for looking.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The $10 bow rack
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:15:00 AM »
Optimistic aren't ya!  d;^)
  That's a nice, simple bow rack. Pretty cool!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
Very neat..

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I know it ain't much, but it works!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
looks nice actually. its just my style...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline lad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
nice.  there is some room on that baby.

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
I have one very similar but never thought about the pipe wrap, good idea! I may just have to get some  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:00 AM »
Nice and simple, but looks great
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Thanks! As Pat mentioned I AM a bit optimistic. I don't think i'll be able to make myself a bow any time soon, but hopefully sooner than later. I have two youth bows and one more adult bow on the docket before I can get to one for the rack.

Offline va

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
Fish -

That is right up my alley.

Probably have enough junk laying around to do it without a trip to the store.

va
Poor folk with poor ways, but rich just the same.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
Awesome VA! That's the real premise behind the rack, that it can pretty much be made up of scrap most us would already have. Really it should be the "scrap-made bow rack" but $10 ain't bad either. Glad the idea may work out for ya.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©