Author Topic: Too much runoff?  (Read 403 times)

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
Too much runoff?
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Hey gang, I've only made self bows with hand tools thus far, so I decided out of curiosity and a bit of impatience to try to make one of those all-so-popular board bows. Part of the attraction was that I'd be able to zip it's profile into shape using one of the only power tools I own: a little skill saw jig saw. Another attraction was that I'd be able to readily glue square wood pieces together. There is some Cherokee ancestor of mine shedding a tear right now I know. Alas, this bow is red oak of course, 72 inches long, 2 inches at the fades, and tapering to 1/2" at the nocks. The other wood on the nocks and handle is some home depot variety cedar. The only thing that makes me a bit nervous about the bow is that im not sure if the slight runoff on the lower limb is worrisome enough to warrant backing. I would prefer to not back the bow because, in my opinion, I think an unbacked bow is more impressive; and in this case I'd rather be able to see the wood grain running along the bow's back. I know this is a very common situation and question....Im doing this mostly for moral support    :p .

This is the top limb that I'm not worried about  

This is the specific area that i can imagine a splinter arising from.

Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Too much runoff?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
it looks like you could get away with it, but it will splinter eventually, in about a month of daily use if you don't back it. all that you have to do to counteract that is fix it with superglue, but if you back it now you won't have to deal with it. your call.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
I wouldnt worry about your ancestors being upset with you. If they would've had access to flat boards the way we do in this day and time I guarantee you they would've taken full advantage of them. As for the runoff its kind of hard to see in the pic but it doesnt look too bad.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Its got to run off somewhere if you taper the board. Looks like continuous grain line from tip to handle in all but the bottom edge of the last pics. Keep your corners rounded to prevent splinter start point and keep long working limb and you should be good.

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
thanks guys. I think I'll just put a layer of sinew and hide glue on it just so it wont be on my mind when im shooting.
Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
When the term "run offs" is used in reference to grain violations. That is it is used when the grain on the back does not run tip to tip straight with the sides of the board. That board you have is almost perfect. I see no run offs.Run offs are not asked by width taper. They are inherent in the board. There is no way I would take the time to sinew a board. Back it with something ilk burlap, silk or linen if it will make you feel better. Info on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
that board does not need to be backed at all...I see no grain run off.

Start makin shavings and enjoy.

Offline wildbill001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
I'm far from an expert (only made one board-bow so far) but was told to be sure and round over all edges.  This is to help prevent splintering.

I've only been able to shoot a couple of doz arrows through my red-oak board with no backing and no problem so far.  But, maybe I've been lucky.

Bill
"You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs."  -- Unknown

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
yea i rounded the edges; but even though some thought it would be fine (including me), i didnt want to take the chance on this one so i backed it with one layer of sinew...just gotta wait now till it dries
Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by George Tsoukalas:
Info on my site. Jawge
  http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/  
great website by the way George
Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement