Author Topic: Serviceberry  (Read 319 times)

Offline DrRich

• Trad Bowhunter
Serviceberry
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with building one out of western serviceberry.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Serviceberry
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Zero experience. But it seems any fruit/nut bearing tree will work fine. And it seems that any tree with the word "berry" in it works even better. One way to find out for certain is to build a bow!

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
seviceberry is a great bow wood..from what i know is that keep the belly flat...i know indians used it alot in the western states..i have done a bend trough handle area..but you might be able to do a stiff handle..john

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Hi Doc,

I got one in the making its still in a rough stave stage. It was to green when I roughed it out, so it really went south on me, but it took dry heat well after a few more months drying. Still holding good and straight. Hard finding any of size I lucked out got two small tree size 7'x 8" Its a lot easier finding sapling size but then you have all the branches to work around. I also spliced one at the handle was really liking it. I had a visit from a friend one day and he talked me into to high of brace way to soon, it busted. Even tho I dont have one that shoots yet I haven't given up on SB. Have to say its one of my favorites also like Mock Orange aka Syringa you might have it around if you have SB.

Here in Canada they call it Saskatoon I still call it Serviceberry but I'm from Oregon only live in Canada

Good luck, Chuck

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
well i hope it works out for you sound like it is good wood to deal with. hey pearl drums to bad your not any closer to kansas i got a whole garage full of hackberry i cut this winter ready to make bows outa

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©