Author Topic: Tiller help  (Read 367 times)

Offline Citycop

• Trad Bowhunter
Tiller help
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I have started my inital tiller on my red oak board bow that I am building along with 4est trekker's build-a-long.

How does this look? Do I need to pull it a little further on the long string for the inital tiller? It was hard to get it pulled as far as i did.

Thanks in advance.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tiller help
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Looks pretty thick to me.  Any idea how heavy she is?  I think I'd get her bending some more but shorten that string until it just barely sags.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
looks thick to me too- but I'm no expert- weigh it before you pull it any farther-  welcome to the club- watch out- this is an addiction, but you are in good hands here
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Offline Citycop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
I cut the limbs down to 15/32 but I didn't have calipers to check the thickness I just got it as close as I could by touch. I will shorten the string and try to get the weight tonight.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
all i can say is just take it slow slow slow. ood luck
Kevin Day

Offline Citycop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I put the bow on my bathroom scale today and it looked like it pulled between 55-60 lbs at about 10".  I tightened the strong up until it sagged just a little.

I'm not sure if I did my tillering tree right or not but I measured down 6" from the seat where the bow sits and then started marking my inch marks from there. Is this right? I read in a book to do it that way.

Offline swtchbckshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
yeah needs a lil more taken off. but take a lil at a time and check, and again, and again. my first red oak board bow turned out to be a kids bow. learned the hard way. like johnscrifes said shorten the string until it sags. use that until you can get it braced.
you have to slow down to catch up with nature

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©