Author Topic: Seasoning yew  (Read 442 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Seasoning yew
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
I've read some about yew. Just wondering what your understanding or experience is when cutting yew. Do you peel the bark off, split, seal ends and sap wood?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Seasoning yew
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Split and seal ends. Generally leave the bark on till dry. The bark is very thin and takes time to remove carefully so as not to damage sapwood. Bark also helps protect the sapwood from dings while drying.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Thanks Shaun.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Snag, Another way is to split,remove the bark then seal with clear Minwax Polyurothane. This time of year the bark will peal off very clean and easy leaving a perfect prestine back with not one tool mark. Saves a ton of time later. Also I never wedge split yew. It has a tendency to go sidways and tear out of the side of the stave. Just lay out and cut the best sections with bandsaw where you want to. Yew is not grain sensitive as far as sawing is concerned.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:00 AM »
thats interresting keenan, tell me more. how do you work around all those knots etc- that it is so prone to.
i am about to cut some yew.
can one split from the centers out- to help minimise that.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Thanks Keenan. That is a big help. Thus far only worked with hazel and osage. I'm an Oregon boy...should make a bow out of yew!

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Fujimo, As I said earlier, I cut out yew staves with a bandsaw. I never split yew with wedges. Better use of the wood, more control of size and knots are not a problem.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Good stuff Keenan. I have some yew in the round and will be bandsawing it into staves per your suggestion.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©