3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is it true for elk arrows?  (Read 806 times)

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Is it true for elk arrows?
« on: February 20, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
I was talking to another traditional shooter about elk hunting and he told me that, a elk outfitter told him that if he couldnt shoot an arrow through a 55 gallon drum, it should not be used on elk.  He said he went and killed a bunch of arrows until he did.  
I do agree with this statement to a certain extent.  Because of the "what if" factor.  You will not always have a perfect shot, release and so on with elk and penetration would be a huge factor if you hit the shoulder or rib or whatever.  To me it makes pretty good sense in mind of penetration.

Does that sound right??
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it true for elk arrows?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
Unless he is speaking about a plastic drum, I would say no. Although I am not an expert on traditional equipment, I am familiar with testing arrows, broadheds, and Kinetic energy on steel drums. And cement blocks. My typical elk set-ups will put an arrow thru a drum, (1 side). But those are high energy comounds shooting 75# - 85# of kinetic energy. And unless I am way off a typical 60# recurve would not develope those kinds of numbers. I could be wrong. Next time I"ll have to try my new 68# recurve. I will be using it on an elk hunt next year.
" without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Metal or plastic drum?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:30:00 PM »
Sounds like the outfitter might be more informed about rifles than bows..? You don't need that much force to kill an elk. It is all about arrow placement. The state of Oregon has set a mininum of 50# for elk. I don't think a 50# bow would go through a metal 55gal. drum!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
Its a proven fact that the native american tribes used metal drums to test their selfbows prior to hunts.   :knothead:    :D  

In all seriousness though, I think anyone should take that advice with a grain of salt.  Not knowing the guide, he may have a softspot for non traditional equipment and was trying to make a point.  Or he may honestly believe what he is saying is true, you never can tell.  Hearing that leads me to believe that if I were to go after Cape Buffalo, then I should be able to shoot through a cinderblock or steel plate, there's really no comparison.  A well set up bow/arrow combo, and lots of practice is your best bet for a clean kill with any equipment. Normally the states will dictate a minimum draw weight that they see fit.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
A friend of mine told me that was the way he tested his broadheads once , and his BH shot all the way through the first part and 3/4 way through the second...I tried it and did it a few BH's ...some simply horseshoed ...find one to do that ,ya got winner!...PS it was 55 gal metal drum
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
Depends on the drum too.  There are all ranges of thickness in steel drums.  I think the natives used 55 gallon hide drums that's why their bows were a little lighter than nowadays  :)

I think maybe the guide is in the arrow selling business too.  Kind of like the golf courses in Myrtle Beach are in the used golf ball business mostly.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
John, now that would make sense if you were using a Hide Drum.   :)  

IMHO, unless you have perfect form and perfectly set up arrows you'll be wasting more money than seeing results.  If your not spined correctly you wont be hitting it straight and your looking at junked arrows, and/or ricochets.  If you have poor form or an inconsistent shot then your apt to see the same results.  Get your setup straight so that all your KE is going directly into the target then if you want to see what she'll do, then have at it.  Looking forward to some results if you do happen to try.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Tim , I agree...I dont go shooting through drums anymore...  :thumbsup:

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
I had to laugh when I read this - maybe the outfitter is selling arrows !!!  I would like to try it though - would someone loan me their arrows.  I would not put much stock into shooting a metal drum.  With the min. draw weights required and using a good SHARP broadhead you will not have any problems.  I have shot lots of elk with various BH's and at least 90% time have had complete pass throughs.  When I did not, I usually hit the off side shoulder, never the less the animal never went more that 100 yds.  I shoot a 70# recurve with carbons and good heads and have killed caribou, moose, grizzley, mt. lion, elk, deer, etc.  LARGE African game might require something different, but this set up will work for all North American game.

My opinion

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
My set-up will put a field pint all the way through an aluminum boat!  :eek:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
I think your friend,needs to go with a different outfitter.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Featherbuster,

Spend more time and effort into making the correct shot and less time worrying about shooting through metal or plastic drums.  I don't care which.  Whoever the supposed "elk" outfitter is, he obviously is clueless about what he's talking about.  A bad shot is a bad shot.  I don't care if you have a bow capable of shooting steel rebar through steel drums, with archery tackle nothing less than a broadside shot in the vitals is acceptable on an elk.

Don't worry about their ribs.  A 50 lb bow is more than capable of generating enough energy for a complete pass thru(broadside shot) as long as you are using good sharp(preferably 2 blade)BH's and the arrows are tuned to the bow.  On the other hand, a strong quartering away shot is a no no.  Trying to angle a shot up thru the paunch into the vitals is like trying to shoot thru a bale of hay because their paunch will invariably be full of grass.  Quarter to you shots are also off limits unless their front leg is really angled back exposing the front part of the rib cage.

You will not always have a perfect shot, release and so on with elk and ....
Anything less than perfect shot conditions is unacceptable.  Be patient and wait for the right shot.  You'll be better off for it!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
yikes. Cinder blocks, metal drums, plywood, lumber...none of these things have anything to do with penetration on game animals as stated above.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
I know 2 women who both killed nice bulls with bows in the low 40# range, 1 a compound and 1 a recurve.  Neither one hit any bone.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
Featherbuster,

With all due respect to your friend's outfitter/guide, it's pretty obvious that "professional" is not too squared away with archery and/or the manner in which a broadhead kills.  Your friend may just be ahead of the game by seeking out another outfitter better suited to the archery way of hunting.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
I moved over to another drainage where them durn elk weren't wearing no armour (further from the highway) and quit worrying about "steel shots".
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline csbullseye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
At a hunter safety class field day, we put on a demonstration to show how much penetration a bow has. An instructor with a 30-06 rifle first shoots a watermelon and then a block of ice, very impressive. He then shoots a 5 gal. metal bucket full of sand, not very impressive. A 16 yr. old kid then shoots the bucket of sand with a 50# Bear recurve and gets his broadhead to stick out the other side of the can, very impressive again.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Hey guys, dont worry, i wont be "trying" to shoot an arrow thru anything, although it does happend.  I gree with others, a tuned arrow with proper placement will work wonders on an elk. i will be trying for elk in wyoming, if not drawn there then will put in for montana and new mexico.  If not drawn there, it will be over the counter in Colorado or Idaho.  
Just wanted to hears yaws thoughts on the drum topic.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
All it does is show how much abuse ur BH can take in my opinion... :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©