Author Topic: How would YOU fix this? Hopefully not like this... pg 3  (Read 954 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
How would YOU fix this? Hopefully not like this... pg 3
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I had to step back and ask for advice before I started ripping up a 98% complete bow. I've been shooting this wrong side shelfed bow for about 40 arrows now, and I noticed what I think is called a "chrysal" on the back of the top limb while applying some linseed oil. It's been shooting but I see that this can lead to failure if left unattended.

I considered 4est's awesome "mole" idea (drilling out the issue with a flat hole, and fill with epoxied dowel) but this issue being on the back of my bow, compared to the belly of 4est's bow, leave's me thinking I can't go the same route. I'm not sure if a plug, then a hemp wrap would work, or don't touch the chrysal, and just wrapping it would work. Really, I have no idea what I can do. So your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the pics. It's not pretty.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How would YOU fix this? Hopefully not like this... pg 3
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:00 AM »
a chrysal is a compression fracture on the belly side. yours is a crack on the back. looks like it's on a knot and will most likely run to that other knot at the edge. perhaps wrap with rawhide or sinew. it will continue to travel further until it finally breaks. don

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
Exactly what Don said, chrysals happen on the belly, on the back its a crack.  

That crack could be the end of that bow.  You could wrap it with rawhide or silk, or you could add a pecan veneer backing over the entire bow.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Thank you for the information fellas. Crack on back, chrysal on belly. Got it.

I'm not ready to give up on this bow. I have lost 4 bows in a row during tillering, and seeing this really kills me.

My thoughts as of now are to drill out the problem, fill with jb weld, and add veneer. Definitely NOT what i'd like to do, but at this point, i'm not sure what options I really have.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
I would use super glue and artificial sinew wrapped around the limb a 1/2" above and below the crack. I bet it holds up for a while.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
i am not a self bow guy. that is i have yet to work a stave chasing a single growth ring. i am a board bow guy. i believe the reason extra material is left around knots is to prevent what just happened to you. don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
I believe that is a board Don? If not it has some serious ring problems. Board bows can be REAL buggers if the wood isnt just right to start with.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
I would not feel comfortable with a wrap on that one.  Wraps are great for splinters but that is a bit different.  If I was determined to save that one, I would have to back it with wood or bamboo.  You need something to take over the tension work in that spot.  I suppose sinew laid down lengthwise with the limb might patch it also.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
I never use any board that has pin knots like that on the back...On the belly they can be ok but on the back they are deal breakers.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
That'S a tough one to repair for sure! I hate that for you, looks like a really fine bow too.

No experience with boards, but I encounter pin knots like that a lot in mulberry and osage and I'll glue down a round leather patch over them (most time I'll sinew/skin or rawhide over them anyways). Try to make the patch look like a knot of something. If you can prevent the pin knot from cracking in the first place, they'll usually hold up fine over time. Just thought I'd throw that in encase you start another board bow with pin knots in the back of the board........Art

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I would repair that by soaking the fracture with thin c/a glue, maybe even bend the bow a little to open the wound so the glue finds the bottom. then, lay on two courses of silk fabric in c/a glue, extending an inch or so above and below the fracture and down the side of the limb nearest the fracture. then, wrap the ends and middle(directly over the crack) with rod-wrapping thread or similar thread, also soaked in c/a glue. this is a very strong and reliable repair. another nice thing about it is that you can sand it when it's dry, so you can feather out exposed edges. so, it isn't too horrible to look at when it's done if you take care while doing it. you could also back the entire bow this way without affecting tiller.

applying hickory or bamboo backing isn't repairing your bow, it's rebuilding it, but that is certainly a good option, too.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
I would put some ca glue in fish and back it with something like pecan or hickory. That would be your safest bet I would think.

I know how you feel bud I have had four bows go south and just started on #5 last night.

Off to the bow shop for me and you    :readit:

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Knots in board staves are disastrous. You've got 2. Start another but I would be more discriminating in board choice. No knots. Straight grain. Info on my site.  Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
It is only going to get worse the more it is shot. Even if you back it, the inner core is cracked and will let go in time. Hang it on the wall and start another is what I suggest. Knots are a no no in board bows. I learned the hard way that you are better off to pay more money up front for a knot clean 1/4 sawn board, than to put 30 or 40 hours in a less than perfect piece of wood and end up losing it.

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
I believe that is a board Don? If not it has some serious ring problems. Board bows can be REAL buggers if the wood isnt just right to start with.
i know it's a board pd. i always read where someone is asking advice on chasing a ring and you always hear "make sure you leave material around a knot". it just goes to show that knots can be the death of a bow on boards too. i hope this one can be saved. don

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Don't put JB weld on the crack, it won't do anything.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I have a fix in mind, thanks to all of your great ideas gang. There will be no JB weld used, thanks Sal. It's a long shot of an idea, but based on what i'm hearing, the bow doesn't have anything to lose.

It's frustrating to see this bow have something like this go wrong. I wish I can show you guys the end grain, it was pretty much straight vertical, with maybe 3/32" between grains. Perfect specimen for a board bow. Somehow, I overlooked this knot. Oh well, if you ain't learnin you might as well be dead!

Report to follow.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Let us know how you fix that, fish. I've been helping a neighborhood kid make a board bow and after reading your post we experienced the exact same thing. A slight crack at a spot with two tiny knots!
I'm considering a very thin hickory, or red oak backing before going further.
Stan

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I got working on the repair last night. A tension style dovetail tenon if you will. It sounds crazy cause I don't know how to describe it. I need another night with it, and I may be able to test her tomorrow night.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©