Author Topic: Not again! I'm done with BBI  (Read 788 times)

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not again! I'm done with BBI
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
I can't figure this out so many people are having troubles with ipe but it has been my main bow wood for the last year or so. Maybe like it was said before it may just be a bad run of supplies. out of maybe a dozen ipe Boo combos I have done no failures and trust me I am no professional bowyer you all have me beat hands down.   :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Im done with Ipe also.Just glued up my first and it will be my last.Grain seperated on belly!Looked good out of the form.Started sanding the glu off the edges and the grain just lifted all most all the way through to the bamboo at the point I clamped my deflex.I dont even think a belly lamb of osage can save this one.No more Ipe for me.It may have just ben a bad piece,but ive got other wood to work with.No more Ipe for me.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
The few Ipe bows I have monkeyed with the Ipe was bullet proof. Your backer doesnt seem to be too thick either. Im not sure there are very many other woods that look like Ipe? Some Ipe gets harvested from the bottom of lakes in Central America. Maybe just maybe that one soaked a few decades too long.

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
I love Ipe. I have backed it with Boo and with hickory, both worked great. Ipe is so dense you can make scary tiny tips, and have zero hand shock, and blazing speed. The problem is not seeing grain and rings the same way you are used to seeing Osage. The only trouble I have had with it, was a break at a swirly grain pattern that was all but hidden under the surface of the belly. But seriously how many other woods have you broken bows too?

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Loren Holland:
But seriously how many other woods have you broken bows too?
And there it is....

I'm willing to give ipe another shot.  This last bow was just too fast not to.  But I'll also be giving the grain a very close look before glue-up next time!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
This brings up a good point, if you are not convinced ipe is a true bow wood, you'll only remember the failures.  But all bow woods break, and I doubt people will "swear off" osage because one osage board bow broke.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Dryad makes and sells a truck load of Ipe/Boo bows every year.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
sometimes you eat the bar , and sometimes , well...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©