Author Topic: curve in limbs  (Read 322 times)

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
curve in limbs
« on: June 30, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
A friend of mine picked up an old wooden longbow at an auction for me that's in really good shape. However, the limbs have some curve to them as in curving to the side like it was left strung up and they warped. Not twisted just curved to one side. Is there anyway to get the limbs back inline where the bow can be used? I believe the bow is made out of yew or atleast that's what the color of it looks like. Any help would be appreciated.
Aim small miss small

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: curve in limbs
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by thumper15:
... curving to the side like it was left strung up and they warped. Not twisted just curved to one side.  
So do you mean curved toward the belly?  If so, that is typical of old wood bows.  They take a set with age and use.  Not sure there's much you can do, but I'm no wood bow expert.  Someone with more experience than me will likely chime in on this one.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Will you post pics of your bow. How old is it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
No, it's not curved torward the belly I know that is normal for old bows. These have a curve to the left toward where the shelf would be on a right handed bow, a curve to the side not the belly or back. I have no clue how old this bow is there are no markings as to who made it, when, draw weight or anything. I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend.
Aim small miss small

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
Sounds like you have a lateral bend to one limb. Sure, you can straighten that out with some type of heat. Got a heat gun? First, check and see if it has a backing. That could complicate things......Art

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
If it has no sentimental value or antique value then I'd say go for it with a heat gun and try to remove the lateral bend. You can make a jig out of a 2x4 to straighten it and depending on construction like Art said it's possible you may do more harm than good?

Sometimes old bows are like old dogs, they are better left alone.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
Yes it's a lateral bend. I have a heat gun and was already thinking of some sort of 2x4 jig to take the bend out. There is no backing on the limbs they just look like all yew. I wasn't sure if heat or steam would work better.
Aim small miss small

Offline Evaninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Maybe you have already checked this, but have you strung it up to see if the string lines up down the center of the handle. Seeing as you said it was a yew bow, it is quite possible that it is a character bow and it was made around the curve in the limb.

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
Yes I have checked if the string lines up. It doesn't it is off to the left side of the riser as the bow looks like it has only been shot right handed I was assuming that was what has caused the limbs to curve to that side.
Aim small miss small

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I would use a heat gun myself. You can do the heating several ways. You can heat the limb until it's good and hot to the touch, but not discolored, and wedge it in your jig/vise and bend past straight, then back to straight. It'll hold that correction just fine if performed properly. Or you can first place in you jig/vise, heat until you feel the limb move and proceed from there as was mentioned above. Everyone has there own proceedure, this is mine.......Art

Offline thumper15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 01:40:00 AM »
Art, I'll just use my heat gun alot easier. I'm thinking of making a simple jig out of 2x4's and do it that way. It'd probably give me better control on the limbs over a vise.
Aim small miss small

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©