Author Topic: Reshaping Grip on '67 Bear Super KMag  (Read 267 times)

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Reshaping Grip on '67 Bear Super KMag
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
I have a 1967 Bear Super Kodiak Mag that is a neat little bow that I think will stay here, but the grip is too thick for my little hands. I know that "messing " with it will "make it mine", but I'm willing to try.
Is the riser made of Black Phelonic (sp?) Will the rasp and sandpaper do the job? There seems to be a big lump just below my thumb that needs removal. I want to reshape the grip and apply whatever shiny finish that is necessary to make it good to go. I don't want to have do the whole bow, although it may look a bit odd, my hand will cover any "imperfections". Any help is much appreciated.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Reshaping Grip on '67 Bear Super KMag
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Files, rasps and sandpaper will do the trick-a drum sander works well also. You can spray it with some rattle can poly once you have it shaped.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
Thanks, David. I'll be biting my tongue and holding my breath through the whole thing!
TOM

Wendell Berry

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
If you're at it you could also round the shelf and the sight window a bit more, because they're almost flat ( if I remind correctly... ). This way you can get a better clearing of the arrows, when the leave the shelf.

----------
Andy

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
I've heard stories that Fred Bear whittled away his arrow shelf so there almost wasn't an arrow shelf at all. He said that he would draw back until the back edge of the broad head touched his knuckle, that way he knew he was drawing to the same place each time.

I say make it your own, because you will never be 100% satisfied with it if you don't make it comfortable in your hands. I've got a Bear Grizzly that I've thought about working the grip on myself, especially since the old finish is nearly gone off of it.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
Swiss,
Yes, that is something I wondered about, as you're right it is flat. I thought that when I replaced the shelf material (with sealskin), that I would try the matchstick trick underneath for a smaller touch point.
SEMO,
I saw something about Mr. Bear reshaping his grip. You're right, make it feel good or I won't use it.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm going to do it.
TOM

Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©