Author Topic: Phenolic questions?  (Read 353 times)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
Phenolic questions?
« on: July 04, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
I purchased some phenolic from 3Rivers to experiment with.  When I shape the black colored stuff it leaves it a lighter color like you can see the grain of white linen used to make it.  If I wet it it turns black again but the light color returns after it dries.  Is there a way to get the dark black color back?  Do I need to sand it with a finer  grain (so far only coarse has been used) or will some sort of finish bring back the black shine?  It's the "black shiny" that catches my eye so that is what I was looking for in a finished color.  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Phenolic questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
If its what I think you're talking about, you can make it pretty easily yourself. There are a few really neat videos on this if you look for micarta on youtube. You might also get your answer there.

Aloha...  :archer2:

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks Rattus.  I have seen the videos on how to make it but I already have some that I purchased.  It's when I shape it to bevel the edges that I lose the shine.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
It's like fiberglass... as soon as you rough it up you will see all the white.. but fine sand it then clear coat it, and it will be shiny again.  I use it for my tips all the time.
God gave you hands, use them

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Yep, finer sanding will take out most of the layer lines and the finish will make her shine.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  That's what I was hoping but didn't want to use it on my trade bow until I was sure.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
I like phenolic's durability/abrasion resistance, and I like the looks of it. I use it to cap many of my risers and also my tips. I like a satin look and don't mind the "grain." I think it looks nice that way as long as it is finished smooth and polished (not white). BUT, I completely agree that phenolic only looks good if you have a fine polish on it. I sand it with a file, then 60 grit, then 100, then 150, and then I go onto steel wool. I get it polished, give it a quick wipe with a rag slightly damp with acetone, and then apply the finish. Once it is dry, I will steel wool it and repeat until I am finished with all my coats. Once I am done, I will then steel wool it one last time (very lightly and only a few passes) to satin it up a bit, and then I wax it.

Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Thanks Lee!  Your bows are beautiful.  I'm trying to get it to work.  We'll see how I do.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I keep a good selection of Sharpie pens in black and shades of brown.. I had a tip with a piece of black phenolic I had to touch up with a black Sharpie..after the finish was applied you couldn't see where I did it..

Offline Cambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Sometimes filling the sanded Micarta with super-fine super glue before the final finish will help it really look black.
- CAMBOW
   Stick Bendin' - Shaft Chuckin' - Trad Junkie...

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions guys.  I sanded it with finer grain sand paper and it looks like it will have the satin finish Lee was talking about.  I like the marker and super glue ideas.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Ranger,

I wouldn't do the super glue or marker myself. If it is done right, it will work well. If it isn't done right, super glue has a tendency of screwing up stuff and makes many projects take a step back to fix. It can make white spots if there is any humidity or if you touch it. It can create rough spots if you touch it. If you don't wipe, it can have a bubble or tear. I think it is best to just use more coats of finish. If you want a gloss, keep working it and then don't steel wool or buff the last coat. This is my opinion.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
K.I.S.A. brings up a good point..The marker was a last resort, I think I just had a bad piece of phenolic? it was just a small pin head size color imperfection. It only happened once.
I am a hobby builder not a pro builder

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I sanded to 400 grit and after one coat of finish is has a satin sheen to it.  I kind of like that but I bet a gloss finish could be had too with some work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©