Author Topic: ? on making lams and wedges  (Read 281 times)

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
? on making lams and wedges
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
i have a 48 inch long 8inch around stick of walnut that i have saved for a gun stock but have never got around to using it and thought maybe i could make some lams out of it for a takedown bow that i started a year ago lol.
i am thinking a .090 thousandth but and taper it out 36 inches ( is that ok ) or should i look around a differant thickness to start with .
and how many lams  i looking to get around 45 lb at 30 inches . with all wood no glass should i put 2 parrellels in the core than a taper or two on the out sides .
and wedges does it make a differance with like the 8.5 inch wedge to the 10 inch wedge .
i know these are alot of questions but hiope i gave enough info to get the answers that i need and going to build me a taper sled tomm. night out of some white oak ( i hope ) lol.

thanks in advance for any answers ,

Scott

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? on making lams and wedges
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Scott, I am not a super expert but what you are describing is a bow with fiberglass on the back and belly.

Double check some of the all wood bow posts, I think you will see that most of them use one belly wood and maybe one back (a thin back to keep the bow in tension).

The walnut could be used in a glass bow because the glass does quite a bit of the work (and in my words the walnut looks pretty)

Most of the time the wedges  the 8.5 and 10 inchers are used in take down bow limbs.

Maybe some of the other guys will chime in and that will help get you further down the road to sucessful bow building..

Edit
After rereading your post I see takedown mentioned and in that case I would recommend using glass on the back and belly (my 2 cents)

Good Luck
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
thanks mike .
am in the process of building an addition on my garage and trying to get a bow put together before bow season opens up so i can shoot it a lil bit to get comfortable with it but with so many things going on i don't think it's going to happen .
i am pondering the idea of glass but have never fooled with it other than auto body and thats a clear differant cat lol.
so maybe with any luck i can get some of this stuff done in time and with out further ado.

thanks again ,
Scott

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Maybe just go with a simple glue up of osage/bamboo, hickory/bamboo, or just a selfbow of osage, hackberry, ect.??
Get a good shootable bow knocked out in no time so you have something reliable to start the season with and work on a multi lam bow as you get more time to.

You may decide that a straight profile osage/bamboo with the tips raised a few inches has everything your looking for and won't even need to persue the other one? Plenty quick and very accurate.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
thanks fellas for the info .

am currently looking at some osage around the area but it is hard to find here i found one tree but hate to cut it down it's in someones yard .lol.

and i didn't know that only the female tree has the green balls on it . kinda funny huh.

thanks again,
Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©