3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is dreaming of Elk/Deer hunting  (Read 1052 times)

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
Who is dreaming of Elk/Deer hunting
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
I know I have been, everyday lately. I will be submitting an application for Montana soon, deadline is March 15th. I love to tent camp for a couple weeks in September. I will be applying for a combo tag which if drawn I will be able to pursue Elk/Deer. Just can't believe I have the bug already for hunting camp. Anyone else have the bug?  :help:
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is dreaming of Elk/Deer hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

Here is pic of my camp in NW Montana. I miss it bad  :banghead:
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Yup  :bigsmyl:
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Looks like a nice camp Doctari! My buddies and I hunted elk in NW Montana back in 2005. We hunted near Noxon. Here are a couple pictures of that country to keep you dreaming.

To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »
bohuntr,Are you up in the clouds or is that spray vapor off the Clark Fork? That is some purty country up there. I haven't been up that way since '97 but I've sure thought about it many times since. I'd like to drop in on some old tradsters up that way-Pete Weatherford over at "The Arrow Works" in Clark Fork and Ted Kramer/son at the retired "Autumn Longbow" shop/home in Troy. Good people.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
My mind is always in a fog, thinking about Elk/Deer hunting agian!!

Can't seem to get enough!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Wow, it sure looks like the back side of my camp. My camp is hard hunting, but you never know what may come by. I have seen very nice Moose, Elk, Deer and Bear. It's another thing trying to get close and let loose an arrow. I have never released one yet, but never have I come home disapointed, and never will. I always look forward to next year.

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »

I have shot some Blue grouse for a camp dinner, nothing better when you are in hunting camp, especially whit a good bottle of Cabernet.  :thumbsup:

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Just early morning fog rtherber. The 2nd pic is me and my buddy on the mid ridgline above the draw/canyon shown in the 3rd picture. Earlier in the morning there was a deep voiced growler of a bull screaming down in the bottom and another bull answering him from the top of the ridge above us. When it 1st started we were almost completely enveloped in fog and it was an unbelievable experience. We did eventually see the bull above us who was a herd bull with probably 30 or 40 cows. It was like watching an incredible video seeing that bull walk up and down the ridge in the fog bugling his head off. The bull we could see was a 350 to 360" bull and the one in the bottom sounded twice as big. We never did see the bull in the bottom but we did find very substantial trees down there that had been rubbed alot higher than I could reach (and I am 6' 05"). I thought for sure we were going to get a chance at one of those bulls but the herd bull was not going to leave his cows and the wind really sucked to make a try on the bull in the bottom altough we did go down in there later after the wind switched.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
I have been dreaming of elk/deer/moose/turkey ever since the last day of the last hunt.  YOU GUYS AIN"T HELPING!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Elk hunting is something I must do before I leave this place! I've had the deer bug lately and go out scouting while trying to sneak up as close as I can. It's amazing how close you can get to them this time of the year.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Mmmmmmmm elk and deer hunting in Montana........

Sun on Monday....

Snow on Tuesday...

"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
I've been dreaming of elk hunting for years. Some day I'm actually gonna go. In college, I didn't have the money, now I've got the money but with two small children, I don't have the time. Hopefully in the next few years, I'll have time and money   :pray:  

Everytime I see pics of elk country I want to go even more. Some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen. For now, I'll just keep dreaming.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 05:49:00 PM »
Everyday!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »
The only thing that makes my blood pump as hard is the BC goat/sheep hunts posted on Trad Gang!! What drop dead gorgeous country Jack Shanks and the hunter from Denmark were in!! But Colorado keeps drawing me back year after year-the aspens turning and the elk sounding off-what the heck--ITS ALL GOOD!!!

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
Don't wait too long Mark.  I wasted many good years dreaming, back when I could get the CO elk and deer tags for $400 total over the counter!  I assumed it would be like that forever, now it is hard for NRs to get an elk tag for $400.  You and a buddy could leave Alabama on a friday night and be in Colorado by saturday night, hunt Sunday through Saturday afternoon and be home by Sunday night, exhausted but finally elk hunters!
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
I read all this and walked outside and counted over 165 elk laying around on the hillsides behind my place. I think about elk all the time; but at this point; I have to think bears; its only a couple months until that happens  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©