3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Bow Repair/Maintence  (Read 320 times)

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear Bow Repair/Maintence
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »
Not sure how to title this, so I covered both bases.......my son came home from the JLMBH with a 45lb Kodiak Magnum.  The bow is in good shape, with no stress lines and very good tips.  However, there are some nicks along the edges of the limbs that feel like they are down to wood.  How do I take care of these?  Do I sand them down lightly, if I do that what do I finsh it with?

Hunter loves this bow, and I want it to last a long time for him.(He is 11)

Thanks,
David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Bow Repair/Maintence
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
David, a tad bit of super glue and sand lightly and than a coat of spar or something would work fine. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:14:00 PM »
I wish you would have shown them to me. If they are just dents that don't expose the wood, I would leave them alone. If the wood is exposed, then a little poly will seal it.

K~
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:00 PM »
Those are what I was thinking.....some are just dents Kathy, but a couple are exposed wood spots, though very small.

Thanks for the help.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
I've done exactly what Shawn is suggesting a bunch of times.  If you take your time you can blend em in real nice.  On most of my bows you'd never even know they were there, even if I pointed em out to you.  One bit of advice.  Do not blow on the super glue.  I did this once and it turned a milky color.  Also wait till the glue is good and dry (wait longer than you think necessary) I had some steel wool stick to some of the glue once as well.  Was able to get it out, but took more work than it should have.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©