Author Topic: Black locust = finished finaly!  (Read 2293 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black locust = finished finaly!
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I don't know, Frank. The man asked for tips so I gave him some. Gotta problem with that?  :)  Jawge

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
I have a 27" draw George, and originaly said I was going for 45# but decided to try for 50. It has not been bent past 50#.

I go back to work tonight but will get a better picture up while there is still good light.

Steve, Someone asked Pat early on if he left any sapwood on the  awesome bow he posted pictures of. There's no sapwood on this one as you know.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
Ok got a better picture. I had scraped the inner third on the right limb a bit last night.

50# at 20 inches.

Still looks stiff near the fades on both sides to me with the right stiffer near the fade as well.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I agree!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Well, I will work on it some more after this next shift.

Looks Like I will take Pats advice and make the left limb the top limb. I have not done anything to the handle area so thats not a problem.

I will also scrape the heck out of the inner areas near the fades with a little extra on the right limb.

Any other advice?

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
Yeah, George, this is my Baby!  :laughing:

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
...and a fine baby it is, Frank. adeeden, is doing you proud. Jawge

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Proud? well will see about that, theres many a slip betwenn a cup and a lip!

Anyway I scraped quite a bit near the fades when I got up today (lonnnng night at work). Keeping track of my scrapes and working the right limb way more than the left and this is where I ended up. were at almost 22 inches now.

It's looking pretty close to me what do you think? Work the fades more or take even wood off and just drop the weight?

When it's setting at brace the right limb is showing about 1/16 more depth in deepest area than the left. Measureing from string to belly.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
Left limb looks great. Right limb looks  to need more scraping in the near handle area. It looks stronger than the left anyway.  If it were my bow that is what I would do. I'd leave the bow strung. I'd take a few scrapes ...like 10 or so...give the stave 20-30 pulls at low draw, 12 in or less, for the change to register then check tiller. Time to slow down.  It really is easy to develop a hinge in that area. I always check tiller by turning the stave around to make sure what I am seeing is not an optical illusion. Check the tiller from both sides and then decide. I also mark a heavy pencil line right at the end of the fades where I want the bending to start and work that area as described above to make sure the stave is starting to bend there where I want it to start. I always stop 1 inch lower than my draw and work it in that extra inch by shooting it in.  The way it looks at brace is not as important to me as how it looks at full draw. There are buildalongs on my site.  You could make the right limb the bottom limb but get the bending starting at the end of the fades in both limbs. One more thing ...I leave my bottom limb about 1/4 inch stiffer BUT at full draw as checked by digi tillering. I have my wife take a pic or 2 or 3. Jawge
  http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
George thanks!

I am getting ready to take my youngest to his hunter education class for a few hours. When we get back I will give the right limb 10 scrapes by the fade and see what happens.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
Dennis, looking good. What's she look like unbraced? Take much set?

I agree with George, turn the opposite way and have a look. Your bearing block, is flat, square, unlike your hand. Draw it, in front of a mirror, and take a pic.

Might be suprised to see "tiller", now!

Where is your buddy John at? He has a good tillering eye!

Your a great "Baby Sitter", too!  :D

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Steve, It's got about 1 1/4 inch set. I have been excersising the heck out of it after every wood removal. A little more than I expected but not bad for a part timer!

I did try to take a hand drawn picture earlier today before I started working on it but had to fire my camera man even if he is only 10!

Here is that picture but I have scraped it a good bit near the fades and have it bending a little better now. This is with the right limb up.

and this is with the left limb up.

I am heading out to the shop now to scrape a bit more on the fades but am gonna take it slow. I won't get much done but just can't seem to stop myself from having at it for a little while!

9 more hours tomorrow of hunters ed with the youngest, but I have all day sunday and monday to play.

Oh man that second picture is bad bad I sure needed my belt! Dang full time job has had me shedding the pounds like crazy!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
look better in hand don't she, just a little stiffer on one limb yet, that bottom on in the bottom pics but heck I am just happy I made my first one that will sling an arrow.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
That first pic looks real good!

I had to lay on the table, to get a better look!  :biglaugh:

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Yes, that top pic looks great!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
update! Youngest got his hunter education card this morning so it looks like every squirrell within a mile of the house will soon be bow shy!

Ok here is where I am at after i worked on it last night. 50 at 23"

First picture is with the right limb on top.

Second picture is the left limb on top.

I am a lefty and the string favors the right limb (first picture) as being the top as it is off center from the handle just a bit that way.

What do you think?

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
looks good to me but what the heck do I know. That top pic looks really good.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
You are doing a great job, Adeeden! Are you close to the weight you want? Are both limbs of equal length? The bow appears to be balanced in the upper and lower limbs. The first picture looks good. Top limb looks good. The bottom limb looks excellent but just a bit too strong. I'd give it a few scrapes and check again.  :)  Jawge

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
Weights on track George and yes both limbs are equal lengnth. I still have adout 3 inches to go so I still have a little shaving room. I'll take a few extra scrapes off the bottom limb as you suggested here shortly.

Thankns again.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I had some free time today so I worked on her some more.

Finaly got her to my 27" draw showing right at 50# on my scale. No Idea how accurate my scale is but it feels pretty good to me.

Tiller is not perfect but It's close enough for me to live with. I'm learning alot over these last three bows and each one is getting better.

I'm going to run some arrows through it tomorrow to see how she shoots.

Now I just need to work on shaping the handle area, decide if I want to cut in a small shelf or not, shape the tips, put on a small overlay and sand it out.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©