3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IS THERE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE BOWS?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
IS THERE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE BOWS?
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
What say ye?  Is there really any appreciable difference between all these custom bows?  Could we all shoot just as well with a Martin or Bear as we do with high-end custom jobs?  I know, we all have our preferences for certain makers, but it seems to me that most of these bows shoot about the same speed, most of them shoot as accurately as we do, etc., etc.  I know people are going to claim that some bows are much faster than others; however, when traditional bows are shooting something under 200fps, does 6 or 8 feet more or less really matter?  I just want to hear your opinions.  Yes, I like some bows better than others, but I don't know if there is enough difference between a Bob Lee and a Morrison to justify spending twice as much.  I guess that's the crux of this question.  WHAT SAY YE!  :confused:
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: IS THERE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE BOWS?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »
We are all built differently, and all these bows are built differently. We pick what feels good to our particular configuration. What shakes my molars loose wouldn't budge some of the more muscled archers here. We are all different, thank goodness, or the world would be a very boring place.

Killdeer  :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
I've been keeping track of all of the bow reports published in Trad Bowhunter since the mag started doing them a few years ago.  Generally, the result is that there isn't much performance difference within recurve or longbow groups, though recurves, as a group, tend to be a little faster than longbows, but not that much -- 5-10fps.  The fastest recurve is about 15-20fps faster than the slowest longbow.  These are all custom high end bows, of course.  There's probably not much differenc between them and their mass manufactured counterparts in terms of performance.  But looks and personal preference also count for something.    :goldtooth:

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
To me it is all about the craftsmanship and being able to get a bow that looks and has features that I selected. Not a production line, off the wall, get anywhere bow.  My latest bow is a Sheepeater Spirit that my friends Brent and Mark made for me.  Having something that a friend made w/ his own hands that you can take out and shoot is something special.  I guess to me it is NOT about how the bow performs as it is as much about getting something that is made just for me w/ the look that I want.
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
Wood, grip, limb cores, draw weight within 2#s, etc. The choices a custom allows and the fit and finish is what sets many apart. The Martin Hatfield lists for $769.99 at Three Rivers now, there are many customs that can be had for less.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
YES...The Black Widow I have feels SO MUCH better when drawing and shooting than my Bear Takedown.  The Bear seems to hit a wall at about 26-27 inches then really stacks the weight.  The BW is super smooth as far as I can draw.  That is an important difference, for example.  I am probably as accurate with one as the other but the draw is totally different.

Although the Bear is production made not custom.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Fourth and long and I'll punt...  :confused:    :scared:    :saywhat:    :eek:    :knothead:
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
IMO - That's about the size of it (what Killie said). I've been very lucky with bows I've ordered and or ones that were "given" to me. However I am a firm beliver in this outlook - shoot as many bows as you possibly can - and enjoy the experience (god or bad, because you learn from them). Caution: Only "enter into a relationship" with ones you  really  like to shoot - and hopefully fall in love with - no matter who is the maker, or who else may say it is a good or bad "maker", or particular bow. Then the final thing is, When you find one like that, don't go out and order a gazillion of that make/bowyer's bow, because you surely won't like every single one of them - for you. ("Different Strokes for Different Folks" really applies here - right down to the individual bows. Again - IMO
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Paul,

Lately I have come to the same way of thinking as you.

If a person wants beauty, then I'd say go with a custom. If your just a hunter like me, I believe there are plenty of high performing production bows, that perform as well if not better than some customs, that will fill my needs.

I have spent an unneccessary amount of money on different bows and on shipping, only to finally come to realise that the small amount of difference in performance is not worth it to me anymore.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
I think the production bows of today are superior to those of years past-see hoyt gamemaster. That being said, I owned a Martin Hatfield and although it was accurate, it was by far the slowest, clumsiest bow that I ever shot. You could get an exceptional custom bow for the price of the hatfield.

BD
BD

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I've personally messed around with bows long enough to know exactly what I can shoot best.  Now, either I can order within my set parameters from a custom shop or call Martin and have them modify theirs (which they will do within limitations).  Don't know if Bear even offers this service.

If I order from a custom shop it will be exactly to my specifications.  Martin or Bear don't make one that would be to my exact specifications.  I could learn to shoot theirs and I pretty much assume they are of real good quality but why?  I can buy to my preference for the same or less.

I used to shop around for used production bows just to shoot and play with but now most decent ones are cost prohibitive to me.  

I must say that I have a friend that shoots a Hatfield and he'd whip me good for calling it "production" and he'd be mostly right.  He takes more game than I do and wouldn't change for anything.  But even he admits it "fits" him perfectly.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
I practice and shoot instinctive inside 25yds for hunting for me any bow will do. My form is neither so perfect nor so bad as to make  any  difference at this yardage.
  Having said that I do enjoy a pretty wood custom bow if for no other reason then to occasionaly  rub my hands across the craftsmanship as I  set on a  slow peacefull watch

Offline Sticks only

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
What I have disovered is the differnces in how quiet some bows are and how far they draw without stacking. I shot a number of bows at K-zoo and found there were a lot of differences in certain custom bows. Some drew and shot well, but sounded like a hammer in a garbage can. While others were quiet but drew poorly for me with my longer draw. I have found a few I really like and most are good.
Whisperstik Testmonkey

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
I could cast a fly with a cane pole but I'd rather have a Winston boron IIx.  The majority of stuff is want not need.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 10:29:00 PM »
its kind of like trying on shoes...you just keep trying them on until one fits....and then when you find one that fits...you say..this is comfy..and then the grouping starts...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
For some they dont feel they are getting a good bow unless they spend x amount for it. Others see the value in some of the smaller or lesser known bowyers. Companies like Martin, Bear aaand Checkmate have been making top shelf stuff for the working man for years although I feel Martin has priced a couple of there bows a little out of reach and Bears quality is on the rebound back to good.

Having sold and handled alot of bows doesnt make me an expert and I feel I need to sit at the feet of those who come before me and learn more than give my humble oppinion. I  like to deal with a Bowyer and the custom bow. Recently I have been dealing with Jim Jones of Firefly longbows. I should be receiving my bow sometime next week but dealing with him has been a total pleasure. After a few years of shooting and knowing how i wanted a bow to be built to accomodate what I want to do, I was able to work with Jim and I'll find out in a few days how this will turn out. Regardless, just by his attitude toward his customers, he has a desire to build what the shooter wants and needs.

I think there are differences in bows. I have had a couple bows by names readily recognized by all here that I hated. Other guys out there sing their praises daily on the forums.

Most guys want "the bow" right off the bat and there are few that find it. i have been through alot of bows and they have helped develope my shooting style but now I have a better idea of what I am looking for in a bow and am a little more picky than I used to be.

Offline Jeff U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
To be analytical, my guess is the price difference is often larger than the difference in function.  

So if money is key, go low budget and stand proud!

But...

Who wants a hobby where the only things that matter are practical?  Things like function and price.

Where there is no accounting for beauty, choice of options, whimsical choice, bragging rights, snob appeal, exclusivity, being different, picking your bowyer, convincing yourself you have the "best" bow ever, making your self bow, or whatever gets you going, etc...

At least for me it's all that kind of "non-practical" stuff that provides much of the enjoyment.

BTW - Brackenbury Bows are worth every penny.  Why?  Because I like the two I have.  (And that's reason enough)

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 11:23:00 PM »
This is interesting for this topic to come up because I've been thinking about this a bit lately. When I got into this I shot production and did well with it but eventually was convinced that custom was the way to go. You know, big writers and personalities push the custom thing and you hear that X bow is so much better than a production bow. Long story short is I've spent a fair amount of money on customs and aside from picking woods I'm just not really seeing the big deal. I buy my bows to hunt and I don't want fancy. And in terms of performance, most productions bows when setup with a good string will surprise people with what they are capable of.

I suppose one other reason that I'm a bit negative on custom is that I have yet to have a really smooth deal with a bowyer. I've dealt with a few bigger names and I have yet to have a bow delivered on time.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are some awesome customs out there but I don't think that they are necessary for the bowhunter.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
Nope - not worth it.  But then what can I say I have 2 Predators.  Plannning on making my own again but time will tell.  Such is life.

Online Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
You know, guys and gals, what's being said here can be said with many other things in life. Fords, Dodges and Chevys or Ferrari, Lamboragini, and Rolls;  Rolex or Timex, ect....Beauty and oftentimes functionality are in the eyes of the beholder. I guess the Harley fans say it best...."If you have to ask, then you really wouldn't understand". And that is not meant to be negative, just kinda puts it in perspective.
IMHO......
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©