3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IS THERE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE BOWS?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: IS THERE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE BOWS?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 06:16:00 AM »
BobW:

"If you have to ask...". Exactly! That was my reason for "punting" in my initial post. As a practical matter, there is almost no way to justify spending $1,200 on a Trad Bow, when you could spend $300 and donate the other $900 to charity.

But...

Is the diamond in your wife's wedding ring worth the extra $3000 compared to the exact same size diamond sitting next to it in the display case. To the naked eye they both look identical.

Is a Breitling watch worth $3,000 more than a Citizens watch? Both tell time.

If you have to ask...
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 06:36:00 AM »
It depends on how a bow fits you.That could be fit by feel of the grip,draw cycle or just profile and looks.My score will not change because of a price tag or a few FPS.Still we shoot what turns us on.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »
Like to see an "off the shelf" production model be 57# at 32".....I'm not against any of them, but I couldn't really find one....

I know someone will jump all over me with examples....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 08:04:00 AM »
Oh sure ... "Now they tell me ..." huh, BobW?   ;)    :archer:
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bob Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
I have owned many more bows than should be allowed,several models from many bowyers,Bear, Martin, Bighorn, Robertson, stotler, john struck,great northern, benchmark, west wallace, black widow, morrison, OL Adcock, DAS Kinetic.  Plus have shot many more  brands.  Back in the early 90's I started shooting one brand more than anyothers, although I was still buying more bows looking for the holy grail. Now that I'm seventy, I finely sold all my bows except six of the same brand that I started shooting in the 1990's.  Find the bow for you and stick to it.lol
Bowhunting is not just a way of life, it is also fun.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 08:38:00 AM »
what makes a bow IMO and I've owned lots of them, is #1 how it shoots in YOUR hands and #2 do you like it ?

I can count on my hand the number of bows that really, really fit me that I loved .... my original per-ACS Adcock, a Silvertip I had (only 1 of 3 that I'd had REALLY fit me) ... a Hummingbird I had one, a one piece Sley, a SAV Ironwood and I guess the one I'm most impressed with is a Zipper I currently have - that bows FITS

That Zipper might not fit everyone, some wouldn't like it at all, some might think its ugly even.

I'm a big supporter of using tradgang buy/sell/trade. Take $500 and turn it over and around and try 6,8, 10 differnt bows until you find THE ONE

I want to make an offer on that Kingwood ACS thats over there right now  :)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
IMO, it depends on your perspective.  I know you were comparing "custom" to "off the shelf", but I think the idea was basically "is a $1,000 bow worth twice as much as a $500 bow, will it shoot better", etc. etc. etc.

Of course it depends on the monkey holding the bow.  We all know archery is a very mental sport, and I can think of at least one fellow I've shot with that seemed to be hung up on brand names/cost.  I believe that if you gave him a broom handle strung up with baling twine, but could convince him it was a "big" name (expensive), he could shoot the lights out with it;  but if you gave him the smoothest, sweetest, fastest, most forgiving bow ever built but he was convinced it was a no-name built in some guys garage, he couldn't hit a barn from the inside with it--and he is a dang good shot.

If you want fancy, rare, super exotic materials, then sure you are going to pay more--for looks.  Paying a lot more won't mean a thing if the bow doesn't fit.  One of the best shots I know has shot his best with an old Bear he either got for free, or paid no more than $25 for (I can't remember--it's been a while).  Ugliest bow I've ever seen, but he could sure shoot it.

Personally, I figured out some time ago the price and/or the name won't make a bow shoot, and it won't always mean better (or even good) quality.  I've shot "cheap" bows that I liked, and very expensive bows that I hated (and vice-versa).  I like a pretty bow, but priority is a bow that fits and works for me.  Price has practically nothing to do with that.

There's still a few bowyers that offer some very nice, high-quality custom jobs in the same price range (and less) than several off-the-shelf models--they will even draw attention for the looks, although probably not impress anyone with the name on them.  I rather impress someone with my shooting than with the looks of/the name on my bow.

Just to clarify, I have shot some expensive bows that I really liked.....but for me, they were no better (looks, quality, performance, warranty, etc.) than some I liked at half the cost.

'Course I've owned some high-dollar bows, and will probably own another one or three sooner or later....but I have no illusions that paying more will make me a better shot.......

Chad

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeff U:
[QB]
Who wants a hobby where you the only things that matter are practical?  Things like function and price.

I totally agree. If this were the case, no one would own more than one bow at a time either!     :scared:    

That's just not my idea of a hobby. In fact, I can't think of a single hobby that is worth the money from a "practical" standpoint. Nothing practical about hobbies.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 10:13:00 AM »
I second Bob Walker and Labs4me w/ the idea of:

"If you have to ask"
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 10:23:00 AM »
Diamond Paul,

Is there really any appreciable difference between all these custom bows? My answer is respectfully, no. My take-down recurve cost $200 new in 2005. Shoots like a dream.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
I appriciate your question very much.

A talented archer can shoot any well designed bow well, as long as there is ample time for the archer to become acquainted with the bow. For some that may be a few minutes, or for others a few days.

Many archers have strong preferences for certain bow designs and will claim that they cannot shoot a longbow as well as a recurve, or a recurve as well as a longbow, or a straight grip as well as a dished grip, or palm swell grip, or thumb rest/palm swell grip, or checkered grip, or high wrist grip, or........., but these preferences are largely a matter or what one is used to, or what one has been told by a trusted source. I know archers who can floss your teeth with an arrow shot out of a Howard Hill longbow with a straight grip, and some who can do the same with a high wrist Morrison recurve. Is it the bow, or is it the archer?

What really matters is where the arrows goes when you shoot the bow, if you enjoy the way the bow shoots, and if you want to curl up with the bow next to a roaring fire and bat your eyelashes at it.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
I never met a bow I didn't like....but there were a few that I wouldn't want to be seen in public with.  ;)  
I've shot a BUNCH of different bows. There are differences. Mostly subtle ones butnotable nonetheless. Is custom worth it? If you are chasing "the perfect bow" to make up for skill deficiencies-NO. You may shoot better for a few days with a new something because you are concentrating but your average ability level probably won't change from one decent bow to another. On the other hand, if you try several bows you will likely find one that you simply like more. Is it worthwhile to have something made especially for you that you will really like? Your money . Your Choice.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Well, for my money, a Martin Savannah is hard to beat. However, buying a custom bow is a thrill. You are buying a piece of the heart and soul of the man who made it, and if it's worth it to you, go for it.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Diamond Paul:
What say ye?  Is there really any appreciable difference between all these custom bows?
The difference for me has been not so much in the bow, but in the bowyer. When I ordered my first recurve a few years ago, I shot a bunch of them, settled on a bowyer, and gave him a call. From there on it was almost like getting tutored on design tradeoffs, grips, strings, woods, etc. The access to the bowyer was the important part of the "custom" bow for me.

As far as the bow, I ended up with a Brackenbury bow and a couple of pair of limbs, and I have probably adapted more to the bow than I have identified the "perfect" bow for me. But that's been good. I have never had any intention of buying and selling to get to the "one bow" - I bought the one bow that seemed to fit my needs and I have dedicated myself to learning to shoot with that bow. It has been in my hand everywhere I have hunted. Now, it feels like a part of me.

Slightly different approach but it has worked for me.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
For my thin & dusty dime, I say there are differences. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

I've only been back in Trad a couple years, but had or currently own everything from straight production Bear, Martin, and Wing, to the semi-production CM's, to my full custom Kotas.

The smoothest and most quiet has been/is my Kota Prairie Swift and Kota TD, followed by the CM H2's.

The fastest is my Martin Mamba.

The hardest to shoot well, at least for me, was a tie between a 62" Fedora I had (I don't know whether to classify this one as a semi-production or custom, but they aren't cheap!) and my 52" Bear K-Mag. In all fairness, I knew the K-Mag would be more difficult to master, but I bought it for a limited role as a "blind bow", and it does the job great.

The middle of the pack stuff would be my CM H56, H1, and my old (late 60's)58" Wing Red Wing Hunter.

So in my experience so far, the custom and semi-production bows I've shot are more quiet, more smooth, and easier to shoot well than the production models.

So what it boils down to is that a guy has to decide if the cost and wait for a custom made for you to your specs is worth it to you personally...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
If it fits you it's a winner.  If you handle/shoot enough bows you will find ones that fit you all along the price spectrum.  Your tastes will get more refined in what fits and what doesn't.  I have found that I need a small locator type grip to get that familiar old shoe fit.  For me that means longbows and 50s style recurves.  I have found that I much prefer clear glass and pretty wood though.  That knocks alot of the so called "production" bows out of the game.  Many of the "customs" are built in an assembly line fashion, while some of the productions bows are built one at a time by bowyers that have been at it for 40-50 years.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
Well, lots of good opinions here.  I asked this question mainly because I have "chased the dream," so to speak, buying and selling lots of very expensive bows in the hope of finding "the one!"  They all were nice bows, some I liked, some weren't for me, but I never really noticed that much real difference between the really expensive ones and the not so expensive ones, other than the "eye candy" factor.  None have seemed particularly faster than the others (and I've had a Morrison and a Black Widow).  Some did seem smoother (a Fox High Sierra recuve would have the be, subjectively, the smoothest I've owned), some did have better grips for me, but I can't say I saw any real world difference between a the cheapest (a used Wapiti) and the most expensive (a custom Black Widow).  Am I just chasing a dream, or is there a bow out there that puts 'em all to shame?  I may never know. . .  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
If you put that Bear Custom Kodiak on a scale, you will see it doesn't stack until it reaches about 30".   I don't know what you are feeling but it isn't stack 8^).

The Black Widow is a great shooting bow for sure, but I prefer the Custom Kodiak.  It shows that they are indeed different to each person.

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Thats some deep thinking Paul, its making me all teary eyed.  I have seen you shoot!  I don't think it matters what you have in your hand, If I was a varmit(which is debatable) I wouldn't want you shooting at me.  Good luck in finding that perfect bow pal.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »
I think Chad and Goast Dog summed up my feelings on the question. It is the archer who draws,aims and shoots the arrow. Lots of guys buy brand x bow thinking it's going to make them a instant better shooter because it is the hot ticket at the time. Don't work that way. A good archer will make good use of the positive attributes that a custom bow can give him. It's a very personal thing.

I equate this to playing pool. I have been playing since I was a kid. I see guys who will drop 2 grand on a custom cue thinking its going to instantly make them a better player only to just continue to slam balls with a 2K cue. A good road player will take a broom stick with a good tip and drain every penny out of your pocket, that $2,000 cue then sweep the joint out after he's done. I have grown accustomed to the trates that my cue possesses and that enables me to do some pretty cool stuff on a table. Bows/shooting is the same thing in my book.

If the guy behind the tool has a full understanding of what he's doing with it, anything is possible. Do some bows greatly improve some peoples shooting abilities in quick order? I would say to a degree, yes, they found a bow that comliments their shooting style. Those are the bows your suppose to hold on to, by the way.

Regards
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©