3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: IS THERE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE BOWS?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: IS THERE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE BOWS?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2008, 01:57:00 AM »
It always amazes me how just a slight difference in the grip can mess with my shot process.  I would hate to say what is better, but the differences are important.

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
Is there really any difference between all these bows?

You could approach this question from several different angles:

Shootability: stack/hand shock/feel
Performance:accuracy/speed/efficiency
Durability.
Aesthetics.
Customer service.
Reputation of the bowyer/company.
Resale value.

Is it possible that you might find a $300 bow that you shoot as well as a $1,200 bow? Absolutely! So if you're just looking for "shooter", rest easy knowing that you do not have to mortgage the farm to buy a bow that performs well. Lots of great shooting trad bows out there these days.

Here's a question: If you pay $600 for a custom bow, hunt with it hard for 20 years and then sell it for $650 on *-b*y, how much did that bow actually cost you?

With a few exceptions, IMHO I doubt that you will find an "off the shelf" bow that will match a custom bow on all the (possible) criteria sited above. I suspect that when someone decides to fork out $1,200 for a custom bow, they are expecting a little more out of it than a $300 bow should reasonably be expected to deliver.
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »
Hmmmmm.....Put an arrow on the string.....Pull it back.....Let it go.....Arrow flys.....

Nope.....They all do the same thing.....   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
"Who wants a hobby where the only things that matter are practical? Things like function and price.

Where there is no accounting for beauty, choice of options, whimsical choice, bragging rights, snob appeal, exclusivity, being different, picking your bowyer, convincing yourself you have the "best" bow ever, making your self bow, or whatever gets you going, etc..."

I guess it all depends on what your "hobby" is.  My hobby is bowhunting, not owning bows.  That's not to say that I don't like pretty bows becuase I do.  For some of us, function IS beauty.

In my neck of the woods, at the end of the day, bragging rights, snob appeal, convincing yourself that you have the best bow ever, etc., all comes from putting an arrow where it's supposed to go.  

Lenny

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2008, 08:37:00 AM »
"IS THERE REALLY ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL THESE BOWS?" Yes.

Now whether the differences are worth the money or not, will be up to each individual shooter. Beauty is in the eye of the "bowholder".

Shoot every bow you can...after shooting a hundred or more different bows (no I'm not exaggerating), you'll find a few that you shoot better than any of the others and you will obviously gravitate towards those. Some of those few may be expensive, some may be cheap, but after that many bows I'll bet you'll be able to clearly tell the difference in what YOU like or dislike. Then, someday you may get good enough to shoot any bow you pick up relatively well. If/when that time comes, I'll bet you'll still have one/some you prefer over others....for obvious reasons to you that may not be so obvious to others.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Labs4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
"Hmmmmm.....Put an arrow on the string.....Pull it back.....Let it go.....Arrow flys.....
Nope.....They all do the same thing..."

Yep.

Turn the key, start 'em up and they all get ya from point A to point B. All cars do the same thing too. No appreciable difference between a $50,000 Vette and a $100 Pinto.

Put the shell in. Pull the trigger and all shotguns do the same thing. Correct, no difference whatsoever between a $5,000 Belgian made Browning and a $350 870 Express.

Put 'em on your feet. Lace 'em up and they all get you down the trail. No difference whatsoever between a $25 hiking boot and a $250 hiking boot.

Turn the key. Push in the throttle. Pull back the yoke and you’re off. No difference at all between a Cessna 140 and a Piper Super Cub.

Put it on your wrist and read the time. No difference at all between a certified Swiss Chronograph and a Timex.

Beauty and value are in the eyes of the beholder. If you find something that works for you –something that you are happy with – that’s all that should really matter. Right?
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »
performance wise...not much

Looks, feel, fit & finish, etc. - That runs the gamut.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
If you like it, it was worth it.  If you don't, you made a mistake......
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Man, this is great!  Great answers!  Ok, when I mentioned the Martin and Bear bows, that was just as an example of commonly available ready-made bows; they seem to be the archetypes for this.  But there are lots of other custom and/or semi-custom bows (Bob Lee comes to mind) that cost considerably less than the "eye-candy" bows, but seem to match them in the areas that really matter.  I certainly agree that the really high end bows excel in fit, finish, and aesthetic appeal.  However, I have always been apprehensive about actually hunting with bows that are this nice!  I have seen some Morrisons that knock my socks off, but can't imagine dragging them up a tree in the dark!  By the way, John, I only shoot good when I'm shooting with you; maybe it's a comparison thing, or something to do with that floating thumb anchor of yours. . .LOL!
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
two word answer is....hell yeah.

Some look good, others look great. Some shoot good, others shoot great. some cost a little, others cost alot. But here's the big thing....

You'll shoot some good. You'll shoot others GREAT. And it might not matter much who made it, how it looks, or what it cost you.

You may obtain the bow of your life, and not be able to hit a bull's ass with it. The one you dont think much of might just be the one for you.....

Wait...aint it the same with women?

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Yeah, except a good woman might be even harder to find!
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2008, 03:42:00 PM »
Well how a bow fits makes a difference.More than the cost or looks for me anyway.I have had a lot of bows and still have quite a few.I bought a used 21st Cebtury from someone on the site a couple years ago.With a lot of modifying and weight reduction that bow is the bow I reach for when points count.It fits me to a tee from the grip,weight and the centershot has been adjusted to shoot the exact arrow I want to use.Now it is not my fastest bow or the quitest or most shock free bow.It is not even what most would call a looker.But it is the bow I shoot better than anything else I pick up.:)So yes custom features do make a difference but I doubt if I could have ordered a custom bow and got the fit I have with this one at any price. jmho
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by BobW:
If you like it, it was worth it.  If you don't, you made a mistake......
It's that mistake that people seem to not want to admit to making. So they go on and tell you it was a great bow even though they sold it to finance another.    :banghead:
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline TradOnly

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Life Insurance Agent
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
I bought my savannah through one shop (custom weight @ draw and my name printed on it) for $350.  A Savannah off the shelf at another shop would cost me between $450 and $500.  The fact is I would love a certain really custom bow, but I don't have really custom money and to be completely honest with you; I couldn't see how I could make my shooting experience even better by spending $1000 and waiting 6 months before I even see the bow.  for those of you with the cashflow and the patience, more power to you.
--Airborne
Martin Savannah Longbow 50# @ 29"
Martin Savannah Stealth 55# @ 28"
Griffin Takedown 52# @ 28"
Easton Bloodline 330

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
The diff. I see in all those bows is I don't own them all lol.

Offline philippelobo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2008, 04:20:00 AM »
I think bows are like womens ...
You fall in love of a lovely girl, you married her and 2 years ago ....... so you know ..lol
Same for the bows, this time I'm dreaming about a Widow, but, what about in two years ???

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »
DUH.......YEAH!!  :campfire:    :clapper:    :biglaugh:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online j.j.johnston

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
To build upon the above theory that bows are like women, I agree.  Even if you have the best one for you, when you see another beautiful one, you dream about what it would be like to try her out.....just for a few shots...And as most of us find out, there is not that must difference between them (of course I refer to the bows)
60" Toelke Whistler 42@28
60” Toelke Chinook T/D 47@28
60" Toelke Whistler T/D 52@29
60” Toelke Whistler T/D 45@28

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
I'll stick to trying different bows.Trying different women is a lot more expensive and dangerous.  :rolleyes:

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
A huge difference can be in the feel and performance of the grip!
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©