Author Topic: Bow string questions.  (Read 206 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow string questions.
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
I was wondering what the difference is in using a regular bowstring or a fastflight string.Do you get better performance with fastflight?
Why shouldn't it be used with wood overlays?
Is it ok to use fastflight strings with all wood or bamboo bows as long as they have tough overlays?
Sorry to keep asking so many questions,but I'm very new to trad archery and I'm eager to learn.
Thanks Gang.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow string questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
You'll get a lot of different opinions,but you'll definetely get better performance with FF type strings. You can gain anywhere from 5-15fps depending on the type of bow.

I don't think it's so much a matter of the wood overlays as the shape of the string nocks. They need to be nicely rounded.Easy to do on a wood bow.

The bad news is FF type materials are usually louder than B-50 strings. Not so much a problem with longbows,but I've gotten very few recurves hunting silent with FF strings.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Thanks Dale. If I can expect a bit more speed with FF I will be using it on my next bow if it turns out to be a shooter. It will be worth the extra money. I'll use antler for the string nocks and I'll be extra careful about cutting the grooves.
Dave.

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:54:00 AM »
This topic has been hashed here quite often.  If you do a search you'll find all the answers and discussions on the subject.  It can get heated.

I use fastflight type strings on my selfbows.  I do use overlays but they're usually a matching wood, like purlpeheart, cocobolo or osage.  I don't use micarta or bone or antler, those woods are tough enough.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Thanks Sal, I'll do a search and read up on it before I finish my bow.
Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©