Author Topic: Snakeskin Prep ???  (Read 690 times)

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
Snakeskin Prep ???
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
I got 4 good size rattlers that are hopefully going to go on two lucky selfbows.  
I'd like to know what you guys do to the skins after skinning.  Do you salt them or just let them dry?  I think I remember reading somewhere here that you can even use them green.  Would someone please give me the scoop on this cause I am going to start skinnin and pinnin them up this evening.
Thanks,
John
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snakeskin Prep ???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Skin them, staple them flesh sideout to a board, flesh with a spoon,then set in the sun to dry for a few hours.

Or at least thats how I have done it, and it's worked well for me.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Same as adeeden said, I use push pins or staples whichever is most covenient then air dry or set them outside in the sun. No salt needed.
Be sure and scrape them with a semi dull knife careful not to scrape a hole through the skin and get all the excess fat and gunk off before drying. The cleaner you put the skins up the better skinning job you will do on your bow later on. Trust me when I say it's much easier to clean them up before they dry rather than later on when you rehydrate them for applying to a bow limb.
Don't ask me how I know this.   :rolleyes:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Thank you gentlemen.  That's what I needed to know.  Let the skinnin begin.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
I use salt to keep off the flies. Wash in Dawn and rinse well in cold water before application.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:58:00 AM »
when you skin the snake, us a roofer utility hook blade, it works like a mini gut hook and will cut through the belly scales of a snake with ease. i just skinned a huge eastern diamondback the other day. im gonna clean and dry the hide today. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
It took a long evening but we got them done.  Thank God for my friend Andy coming to help.  Thanks for tips guys.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
After they dry use a pair of scissors to trim the skin at the belly scales. They roll up much neater with this part of the skin gone.

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Eric,
good tip.  Do I need to roll them up and put them in the freezer?  How long will it take them to dry?  I have in them the air conditioned garage with a box fan on them.  They seemed pretty dry this morning.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
No you don't need to freeze them, I keep mine in a card board box in my bedroom. Up on a shelf out of reach of curious little hands. Just keep them dry and preferrably inside where the humidity is lower, don't know if that makes in difference or not but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

BTW- What flavor did you say those snakes were? They kinda resemble the brown water snakes we have around here judging by the markings. Very nice patterns on those, they will look sweet on a bow! You'll be hooked after this and no snake will be safe when your around, trust me when I say you'll just about bail out of a moving vehicle to grab a freshly road killed snake.   :goldtooth:

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Semo,
Timber rattler I guess.  I live in southeastern ky.  I think that's all we got around here.  Maybe some diamond backs that I don't know about.

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
I have only done a few small snakes 25-30 ". I put them in the fridge for the nite to chill them down.Then I cut the skin around the neck and start to pull the skin back. Holding the head I basicly peel the skin back very slowly being careful at the vent. Once done I lay the skin out flat and cut down the belly with a sharp pair of scissors. This method takes the skin off with no scrapping necessary. JG

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
one eastern diamondback skin ready to store for future use

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
Dang Ruddy! That is one Big motha of a rattle snake!  :scared:  
You lucky dog.   :thumbsup:

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
here is a vid that i made its part 1 of the fleshing process. just click on the pic to play vid

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
here is part 2 click on image to play vid

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
it didnt take as long as i thought. i wish i had made a part 3 and 4. showing more of the process. i have already shown the pics of the end results. it will make a good bow backing. i think there is enough to back 2 bows with this hide. rv

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
I have another question or two for you guys...

Can I use Titebond III to put the hide on with?  That's what I have on hand but can buy what's needed if necessary.

Do I stain under the hide or it is unnecassary?
I am thinking of a old stock can of minwax driftwood but don't know how that would effect the hide.  Any suggestions on the application and finish will be appreciated.  The bow it's going on is a week or two off from being ready.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
I have never done skins yet, but what I have read tbIII works good, and staining will show through your skin from the pics I have seen here. If it is a dark stain the skins look darker, and lighter if it is lighter. Do a search on here and there is more then enough info on putting skins on a bow.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
Pretty neat job on the snakeskin, Ruddy. Hope it comes out well for you. I was interested to read Eric's tip on cutting the belly scales of when/before rolling skins up to store. I've got a couple stored that I need to pull out and do that to - certainly looks neater, Eric.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©