Author Topic: How did you learn?  (Read 872 times)

Offline Chris P. Bacon

• Trad Bowhunter
How did you learn?
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Hello everybody, I got to thinking, and thought it would be interesting to see how, or where all you TradGangers picked up the skill of making bows. Maybe you read books, or it was passed down through the family. I think it would be cool to see all of the different backgrounds of bowyers    :archer: .  

-Ryan
Martin Bamboo Viper 64" 55#@28"
Bear Montana 64" 55#@28"
Sage T/D 62" 60#@28"

Wheels belong on cars, not bows.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How did you learn?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Well I am still trying to learn, but I started with books, then found this site. I have posted my attempts here as I went along and you can't beat the advise here. The only one thing is you find out that  there are only a few fast and hard rules to bow building.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
I've never actually seen anybody build a bow from beginning to end in person.  I read alot on-line, in magazines, and books.  Then I started with Bingham's instructional materials and their kits.  Bingham's is probably responsible for getting a large proportion of all laminated glass bowyers started.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
I had a friend teach me the basics with my first bow. It's trial and error after that, really hurts when you lose a bow, but you always learn something from it's loss. And the knowledge you can get on here is awesome.

Offline Chris P. Bacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys!
Bear Montana 64" 55#@28"
Sage T/D 62" 60#@28"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Have you made any bows Chris?

Offline Chris P. Bacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
No, I have not, yet. Yet being the key word haha. I really would like to, and I'm learning a ton from everyone's posts on the bench.  This summer was nice, I learned to make quality bowstrings and decent arrows, no bows. I leave for college later this month and hope to start on a simple bow making project that I can do some work on when alternating back and forth from Miami to Tallahassee. I would be interested in doing a lamination bow, maybe ill pick up a kit from bingham...
Bear Montana 64" 55#@28"
Sage T/D 62" 60#@28"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
Kenny M that posts here makes great bow material also. Nothing wrong with Binghams either though.

Offline Chris P. Bacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Thanks, I'll keep him in mind. I had someone suggest him to me too, his build-alongs are awesome too
Bear Montana 64" 55#@28"
Sage T/D 62" 60#@28"

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 11:57:00 PM »
I buy all my laminates from KennyM he picks through the wood and gives you the absolute best products out there. I actually started making bows from this site and talking with Jawge he helped me a lot. If you don't know Jawge then just talk to some of the guys on here he's on all the time and more than willing to talk. I started building Laminated bows from trial and error also the traditional bowyers bible series.
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline Chris P. Bacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
Thanks, Stone. Kenny seems to be the way to go for materials
Bear Montana 64" 55#@28"
Sage T/D 62" 60#@28"

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
Chris, I tried making bows several years ago before I knew there were so many people out there already doing it. After several failures and life's situations, I gave up for several years. A student teacher I had told me about Sam Harper's site on-line. I finally got a copy of The Bowyer's Bible vol 1 and found TradGang. The advice on TG has probably helped me more than anything else. Also, after realizing there were so many people with the same ideas and desires as mine has been a motivation. I've improved with every bow, whether a success or failure.
My only regret is not finding my way into actually making a bow sooner.
Good luck with your endeavors.
Stan

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:03:00 AM »
Chris - A good way for you to start would be by buying Bingham's instructional dvd's, but then buy materials from Kenny.  I don't want to diss on Bingham's materials, but Kenny's lams are of much better quality in terms of beauty of wood grain and precission of thickness.  Also, Kenny ships within a couple days and charges you actual shipping cost.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
I learn most of what I need and want to learn right here. I usually learn something new everyday.

Always wanted to build a bow and after finding TG I can't keep my hands off of a stick of good bow wood or any wood that has a slight chance of being a bow LOL

Not into building glass bows but these fellers here that are will not steer you wrong.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
My fathers philosophy on building gun stocks to me when I was a kid "Just take that block of wood and cut everything away that doesn't look like a gunstock" Now as an adult I have the great opportunity to share a shop with him he builds guns I build bows and yes I still tell him when he says how did you learn to do that. Just shave away everything that doesn't look or bend like a bow. Ironic I must say
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
I friend showed me the basics then I bought just about every book and video I could find on the subject. I found that almost every piece of reference material leaves something out.

The bottom line is you can only learn the complete process by doing.

Having run a bunch of students through my shop, I have found if you ever let fear of failure stop you from trying, you might as well find something some other hobby because you will never make it as a bow maker.

Failure is part of the learning process for a bow maker.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
I had a friend introduce me to trad archery and at the same time tradgang. he had made a few bows and gave me some pointers. Then I read some and found some websites, such as Sam Harpers, and got to shaving wood. Most of what I know though has come from the good folk on here, especially PatB, John, Eric and Jawge just to name a few. Good luck with the addiction and see you at Tuesdays meeting;
"my names Tony and I make bows"  :)
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I pretty much learned what I know here.  I'm still very much a novice at building bows but have been working with wood for years.

I've always loved archery and woodworking and I no longer have a big shop to build the furniture I used to build so I started building bows with my makeshift work areas and I'm loving it.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
I picked up a book, "Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans" by Jim Hamm because I wanted to know more about the "arrowhead" I had found. His book was so interesting to me that I had to try and make a bow. It was the sadest bow you would ever see! But I was hooked!

Since then, like Eric, I have read just about every book written on the subject. I still buy some books just to add to my collection but still find a few things I'd never heard before. I've taken a class several years ago with Bernie Swank of Mystic Longbows and I have some DVD's.

This forum has also been a huge help. Especially with my tillering skills. Until "The Bowyers Bench" came along I didn't know just how bad my tillering was  :) .

My name is Bona and I make self and backed bows. When is the next meeting BTW?
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
i was bored with shooting a wheel bow. i saw an ad for binghams and made a 3 piece takedown recurve. that was about 10 years ago. i then read all i could on bow making. i have a nice reference library now on bow making because of it. i joined tradgang in 2004 and learned a lot from the members. i should point out that i am still learning and get most of my information from the talent in this forum. don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©