Author Topic: How did you learn?  (Read 874 times)

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How did you learn?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I scoured the internet for every build-along I could find (lam bows).  It seems I would pick up one or two new tips or ways of doing things from each one.

I built my oven & form and then had two kids and a career change that put off building one for a few years.  When I got started again there were dozens more build-alongs to read and I jumped in and built one.  

You learn a ton on your first one and you will keep picking up something new with everyone you build.

If you can find someone with experience it would be a big help but I did it on my own and without a Binghams kit.  looking back, a Binghams kit would probably be a good idea.

As mentioned above, kennyM is a great source for lams that are dead on for quality and fast service.

If you read his form build-along on his site and his link to how he builds a bow its a good start.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Well.. never did archery before in my life.  But always have tinkered with wood.  About age 35, built a really nice wood sword for my son for christmas.. I was so in awe of what I did.. I wanted to build more.. something better... "to the internet batman..."
Found a forum site like this one back then and started absorbing all the info.  I went for the hard tackle up front.  The take down recurve.  Decided to to build it totally out of wood to see if I could even do it.  Guess what?.. I did it.

So bow two was a fiberglass take down.  I still have both those bows hanging on the wall.

The other forum closed shop and a member from that one told me about this one.. so here I am and many bows later.
I did buy the binghams blue prints finally and changed them.. but was a good starting point.

I am still building bows.. way tooooo much fun!  but also am working on a guitar (first time) and a pool cue (also first time).. Hot Dang I love wood!!!!  :)

Have fun!  do it.. mess up and do it again!
God gave you hands, use them

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
I learned from books, trail and error (emphasis on error) and I had some help from Bob Holzhauser. Jawge

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
trial and error/the internet. it worked out pretty decent, but i'm still building and still learning.

Offline Jeff Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
I had a go at staves before I had a computer.Read a few booklets I picked up in Alabama(ROLL TIDE). After I discovered the internet I found out about board ows and laminates.WOW, wish I had known about those sooner. Now I'm in the process of building a glass bow with the help of Kenny M. His deflex/reflex bow is so smooth and quiet the only thing the game will hear is the broadhead breaking their ribs! Hell of a  nice guy and lots of woods to choose from. And thank you Kenny for your time and patience.
Jeff

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »
im still learning, im working on bow #2
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
In 1996 I found the Bowsite.  In 1998 I found out people make bows with wood.  In about 1999, Torges started his series on making osage bows and I learned the basics there.  In the past 12 years or so, I have learned alot mostly through this site, stickbow.com, the Trad Bowyer's Bible and Torges' book and video.  But the real teacher is experience.  I'm somewhere over 150 bows and I still learn something from every one.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris P. Bacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Thank you all for sharing, some great info posted on here. I know this will help me, and others start making some bows, finally    :D .
Martin Bamboo Viper 64" 55#@28"
Bear Montana 64" 55#@28"
Sage T/D 62" 60#@28"

Wheels belong on cars, not bows.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I rediscovered bowhunting in the late 90's, going through the compound time for 3 years or so; then visited Jeffrey Archery in Columbia, SC and picked up one of their recurves. So light! Tom gave me a few lessons and I was back in bidness, buying every book and vid I could find on shooting. Someone in Jeffrey's shop said 'you won't own just one'... how prophetic! About 8 years ago, I discovered the Bowyers Bibles, and Dean Torges video on HBBB. Bought a blank from him and turned out a dog of a 42 lb r/d bow, but the lessons learned were invaluable. Just have kept on making all bamboo or bamboo backed hickory or osage bows. Straight limbed, string follow, long, shorter, r/d. Still got to get the gumption to build or attempt osage selfbows (again, Torges' HOB, and this site) and fiberglass sheathed bows. This site has helped immensely with the buildalongs and inspiration. Many times, it is humbling to see the creativiity expressed here.

What fun it all is, after all.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I thought i would save money making my own bow!  Self taught from scratch, what a journey its been!   :knothead:    :laughing:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
"Failure is part of the learning process for a bow maker. "

How true Eric!

I always tell folks the hardest part is just starting in on one!

I ,like a lot of others started with Binghams. I would say they have started more folks on the enjoyable hobby or bowyerin than about anyone.

Tons of tips and info right here also, I'm always glad to give a hint or tip when I can.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Ya Jeff, KennyM is ok, I guess:)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
Roy , you gotta quit pickin on me, I'm gettin a complex. You don't know how sensitive I am.  :laughing:    :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
LMAO....

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Yep, its amazing the amount of great info right here. Not to mention the years of hands on experience!  :notworthy:    :campfire:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Well for me it was a 3 part thing.
First bow I saw was a board bow my cousin had and he suggested to do a on line search and I did and made a few bows from hickory boards over a couple year time peroid.
Second was when I me Gary Davis at the KZoo show and he invited my to attend one of his winter work shops where I learned the art of selfbows out of osage from removing the bark all the way to finish. That tought me how to make and tiller a bow correctly (thanks gary) from that knowledge I harvested a few hickory trees made a few and broke a few ouch.
Third while attending the Michigan bunny stomp I met Jim Jones from Firefly bows and fell in love with his bows 3pc takedowns and I thought boy would I shure like to learn how to do that and Jim said he would share whatever info he had and suggested I look at Binghams for info on forms ect.. and I did. So now a few years latter and a few broken risers in the process I have learned what to do and what not to do (sometimes) have tweeked my forms, learned about power lams and tip wedges and how to use those and here I am about 10 years latter it is a blast..
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
Also a ton of info from this site and the people here.....
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline wildbill001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
I blame Sam Harper and the folks here at TradGang for this addiction, er, hobby!

3 bows so far, all red oak board bows, with one failure (not really my fault as my son didn't ask for advice before he started on his handle) and getting ready to start another board bow.

Wife doesn't know it yet but am looking into getting started on a laminate....

Wild Bill
"You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs."  -- Unknown

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Bought the Bowyers craft by Jay Massey in 1987.  Lot of books and watching more experienced bowyers at the start.  Still get idea's from other guys.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Cuban Missile

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
I have been shooting for a long time.  I am one of those Jack of all trade kind of people.  I love shooting so much and thought to myself I need to get my wife shooting.  So I started here by soaking up info and looking at different build alongs...  and just like a lot of people have said already, there are only a few "rules" the rest is up to you, be creative and let the shavings fly.

Also you just need to start out having faith that you will make something.  You can just be doubting yourself or else you'll always be afraid and never get started.  I guess thats an all encompassing thought about life too huh...
Javier

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©