Author Topic: A bit of a problem - take down recurve  (Read 771 times)

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
A bit of a problem - take down recurve
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
So I have slowly been working on this bow.  Had some scraps of wood in the shop and figured it would be a good way to get some ideas worked out.

After HOURS of work.. I was going to do a quick tiller and noticed this:

You can see the gap at the glue line when pulled back half way (about 22 in draw)  I played with it a bit and it looks like the Walnut is flexing to much.

So any ideas?  It is only pulling about 35 lbs.. it is a 64"..  I am sooooo bummed.  I have not had a problem like this before.  I am just worried that maybe the walnut is not strong enough wood.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A bit of a problem - take down recurve
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Here are some pics of the bow.  I was trying out some new design ideas on this bad bow

So.. looks like I am going to have to build another riser.  Maybe using maple as the main and walnut as the accent.

If anyone has any ideas of a repair, let me know.

Thanks,
Brad

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I snapped a walnut riser not to long ago but I had the lam thickness wrong so I am sure I over stressed the wood. What kind of glue did you use?
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
I built a walnut riser bow and it failed to.  So from now on if I use walnut it gets a I-beam with phenolic.  Sorry for your bow she's a beauty.  

Shawn

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I wouldn't use walnut in such a load bearing role; I've had it fail on me before as well. In decorations and accent strips, it seems fine, but it's a bit brittle and doesn't like flexing too much. At least, that's been my experience with it.

beautiful bow, shame it's giving trouble.

edit: same goes for mahogany.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys.. I used smooth on.  I always cut a center rest shelf, so the maple I beam portion got cut away.. leaving only walnut.

Live and learn  (NOTE to self .. DONT use walnut as main wood!  LOL

I have used maple, ash, dymond wood, walnut/maple laminate, purple heart and yellow heart.. with no problems (as the main wood)

Well.. at least the limbs are still good.

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Second bow I saw on here today with a failure at the reverse swoop on a footed riser.  Tons of stress trying to pull that joint apart when the bow is drawn.  

Very cool bow though!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »
Total amount of wood at the area of the separation is small, real small, looks like about 1/2 inch by maybe 2 inches. You have a huge site window cut out that looks like well past center cut and very tall. If you cut clear through the "I" beam it no longer functions. It is a fine line between a "clunky" riser and a weak one. The good news is you can build another riser for those limbs.

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I just had a riser crack in the site window a few weeks ago. I used CA that is the consistancy of water and is made to fill cracks. I have shot it several times and left it strung with no problems.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Bow-n-Head

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Yehbut Ricky, U had "professional" help.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
you hit the nail on the head Shaun.. .55 wide and only 1.45 deep.  I knew this was only going to be around 30 to 35 lbs, so I pressed the limits.  Just was not aware of the walnut being so week.

All the smooth on in the world can not keep a softer wood and a harder wood together with the stress difference.

I will super glue the bad parts and put a couple coats of tung oil on her.. use it for show and tell.  I like the lines of the riser.. she looked sexy!  So will repeat with another but with the stronger woods.  And will give a little more beef at the window line.  I like the large windows personally... so has everyone that shoots my bows.

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
why not glue a lam on the riser cut out for the arrow shelf...that should thicken it up and make it no flex at all.

May not be "centershot" anymore but it shouldn't break

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
but it is bending at both ends?  So what is your thought.. just in the window?.. or elsewhere as well

Thanks for the idea... I am all ears, but don't follow just yet

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
This comes under the not normally done category for bow risers,

but why not put a 2 inch screw from the light into the dark and plug it, (drill a screw hole, fill it with smooth on run the screw in (counter sunk of course) and then put a plug in each end, Might save your 35 lb bow

unless I misread something.

Nice looking work.
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I actually was thinking something along those lines.. but I am still worried that the thin part of the walnut will give way.  Maybe drill straight down and glue in a steel rod?  strengthening the walnut.  Might work.. I will give it some thought when I get home

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »
You got the riser way too thin there in the crack area plus walnut two bads. Make another riser loose the walnut except maybe for accents. beef it up a bit more in the thin areas. Not a biggy just part of learning.
High on Archery.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 06:22:00 AM »
I wouldnt try and fix it unless you are the only one shooting it then its on you if you get hurt if/when it fails. .02
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 06:38:00 AM »
You might try drilling a hole and pegging it with some dowl material and Urac? Since it's a project bow anyway, may not look all that great but I bet it would hold it together. Just a thought.

I see Mike was already headed in the direction I was thinking. Great minds think alike.

I'd get some good quality dowel or make your own and make the hole just a few thousandths bigger than the dowl so you have plenty of room for the epoxy and peg that sucker.

My bow is doing great by the way, I love it!   :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
It is a bit thin (and I knew I was pushing the envelope), but I think it would have held with maple. Especially since it is low poundage.

Just never thought walnut would have acted this way.  But it is all good.

I will just finish up the riser for show and tell. I will use the limbs with another riser.  Gives me something to do.

Semo.. glad to hear it bud!

That is why this bow was NOT a commissioned bow.. had some scraps and figured I would try some new tricks.. I still have my standard pattern for any bows going to others.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
With those 3 pc take downs, it's best to limit the glue lines in the riser as much as possible.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©