3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Poor archer in need of a little help  (Read 421 times)

Offline electric blues

• Trad Bowhunter
Poor archer in need of a little help
« on: February 21, 2008, 01:42:00 AM »
I see all of these posts of yall with four, five, or more dozens of diffrent fletched arrows and just dream. But im a broke college student and cant really afford to get more and more dozens of arrows and try again. I have Easton Excel Carbons cut at 30". They weigh 8.6 grains an inch, and currently shooting four fletch 5" feathers with 100 grain points/broadhead. This is working good out of my 45# bow, but I want to try hog hunting this year, and I'm very afraid this is not enough to do the job. I beleive with my current setup they are 385 grains all in all, without counting the 4 feathers.

I was thinking of getting a 150 grain broadhead, 4 bladed Sasquach with the bleeders removed most likely, but wasnt sure what size I need my arrows cut. I am also going to refletch them with 3 5" nanners or shields.

I did try putting weight tubes into one of these arrows that i fletched with 3 5" shields, but it was very wobbly with 125 and 100 grains up front. The tubes were 3 grains per inch, but I cant find the tubes, so im estimating they were around 81 grains or so after being cut to fit. With 100 b/h it was 491 grains, and the 125 b/h was 516 grains. I still have leftover uncut tubes though.

Any help would be appreciated. I've already lost a few arrows and cant really afford another batch for a while, so I wanna do the best with what I have. And I'm a litle afraid of trying hogs with an underpowered weapon. Thanks for any help!

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Poor archer in need of a little help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
Electric---I use the three grain tube in my present arrows:  when I tried the 8 grain tubes to increase the overall mass, I found that they lessened the effective spine of my arrows.  I had to lower my head weight from 200 to 150 grains,to get them to bare shaft properly.
Since they are already cut as short as my draw length, I could not compensate for the effect by shortening my arrows.
You may have experienced a similar effect.  Are your 30 inch shafts long enough that you could shorten them a bit (it does not take much), use the weight tubes, and maintain a heavier head weight?
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline electric blues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
Yes, I draw 27 amd a half to 28, so I have 2" to work with. Im wondering if 29, or 28 or something arond there with a 150grain upfront would punch a smaller to midsize north georgia hog. Now i know 45# will only angry a big boar, but I just cant afford another bow. And shotgun hunting them sounds a little boring....

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:43:00 AM »
Your only going to know what will work if you experiment with what you have. What your saying is adding the weight tube lowered the spine? That sounds a little fishy to me but I've never used them so I can't tell for sure. Have you tried tuning bareshafted with the adcock method?
 Ol Adcock Tuning
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:02:00 AM »
Caylor, PM sent.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline electric blues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
I'm going to try the Adcock method, because I'm stuck at my house with too much time and no ride. Thanks btw JC, people here are very helpful.

I was wondering what I should use to cut a carbon arrow? Something tells me a hacksaw wont do too good.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
You might consider the Grizzly El Grande for your set up on hogs.  Talk with Ray Hammond as he is as expert as you can get on Grizzy heads and hogs.    :archer:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:35:00 AM »
I may be wrong, But doesn't some members on here use a set-up about the same as Electric Blues?

I know hogs are a tuff little bugger, But if You're hitting Your spot at a comfortable distance... Hitting them with a 1/4'ing away.... Can You say Pork Chop??????

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 11:01:00 AM »
I don't think that is too different from Curtis's setup and he is a hog killing machine.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Abel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
What spine Easton's are they?
"A bow in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
yeah skippy---had a hard time believing it myself.  I spined both tubes sans shafts, and the 8 gr were stiffer than the  3 gr., so I expected to need to increase my head weight.  With the 3 gr tubes, my shafts tuned perfectly with Mr. Adcock's method using 200 gr. heads.  The 8 gr. flew markedly nock left, and impacted right, until I backed off to 150 gr. heads.  I guess mass in the front of the shaft trumps the additional stiffness in the tube.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©