Author Topic: Hackberry  (Read 235 times)

Offline Riverbend

• Trad Bowhunter
Hackberry
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »
Tell me your thoughts on this wood? Also I know we have this growing here in eastern Idaho, however I cant seem to locate what it looks like. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hackberry
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I love the stuff. It heat bends easily, its very lightweight and durable and splits like a dream. The bark is silvery colored and very warty looking. Its a one-of-a-kind bark that is hard to miss. Look it up on the web and you will find thousands of pics. Make your bows a little wider than usual, maybe a touch longer if you draw past 28".

Offline Dogbyte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
yeah the bark is what your gonna be looking for, nothing else like it. Ive seen it almost slick, with very few "warts" here and there, and ive seen it packed on thick, where all the warts form vertical ridge type structures that all run together.

an individual wart sort of resembles what you would expect a topographical representation of an island would look like. The wart looks like its made from progressively smaller rings near the top, as opposed to the bottom that is attached to the tree. some are cone shaped, some are like a plateau, some are just irregular all together. And like i said, some are lined up so thick they look like they all run together in vertical strips. Usually on bigger trees the entire surface of the bark is clustered with these warts. The smaller ones tend to have less.
Genesis 21:20 God was with the lad, and he grew; and he lived in the wilderness and became an archer.

Offline allpowerfulguru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
"Hackberry" or "Sugarberry" as we call it in Texas is Celtis laevigata. It grows like weeds here and is often found along fences because it produces a small dark berry that birds love. The birds then poop the seed along a fence when they land. Like the others stated it has a distinctive warty bark that is hard to miss. The leaves are lance shaped like an upside down teardrop (the base of the leaf is the fat part and the end is the point), have no lobes, and smooth edges.
 One thing that is very distinctive about hackberry leaves is that they are palmately veined which means that they don't have a thick central vein like most leaves of that shape, instead they have four main veins that fan from the base of the leaf (like what you would find on a maple leaf).
One other thing is that the leaves will often get warts just like the bark.

I know that is some detailed info, but hopefully that will help you confirm what you think might be a hackberry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©