Author Topic: laminate bow questions  (Read 321 times)

Offline wildbill001

• Trad Bowhunter
laminate bow questions
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
So now that I've made 3 red-oak board bows, I figure I'm an expert now..   :eek:   Yeah, right!

Anyway, I've finished my thickness sander and am ready to do something with it.  Thought my first project would be a wood laminate bow.  By that I mean ALL wood laminations--no glass.  Which brings me to my questions:

1) Is this do-able or a complete waste of time?  (I've tried searching the forum for answers but will readily admit my "search-fu" is weak.)
2) What would be good wood(s) for the laminations?  I'm kinda partial to hickory and walnut but am open.  
3) Can I do this with Tite-bond III or Gorilla Wood-glue (not the poly stuff)?  Should I just follow the crown and use Smooth-on?
4) How many plys and what thickness if this is do-able?
5) Any good reference material I should get such as URL, particular Bowyer's Bible volume, etc?

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas and even "You're Nuts!    :nono:   " are appreciated.

Bill
"You can tell the pioneers by the arrows in their backs."  -- Unknown

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: laminate bow questions
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Wildbill001, I recently built my first two successful longbows using bamboo, walnut and bamboo. Glued them together with urac 185 and I can't be any happier with them. If you don't like bamboo there are other combos like ipe, maple, osage and you already mentioned hickory. I,m no expert but there are a lot of very good bowyers here who can give excellent advice.
This is where I learned.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
1)Its not a waste of time I've made lots of laminated wood bows.

2)Hickory or bamboo are the best backing and certain woods make better bellies than others. Really the combinations are endless.

3)I always use titebond3 and never had a problem with it.

4)Backing should be 1/8 or 3/16. 3 lams are plenty or you can just use two and call it a backed bow.  

5)Theres a whole chapter on laminated wood bows in tbb4.

Offline wildbill001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
Well, then I guess I better get a copy of TBB4 (The Bowyer's Bible, vol.4 for us beginners) and get to readin'.

Does anyone know of any build-alongs that may be posted somewhere in this big, wide-world of Internet?

Bill

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
Here is a link to my build, one of my first HBO's.

WOW, almost 7 years old now and still shooting well!

Click here:
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000069;p=1

Then a tri-lam HBWOA

Then another HBWO with a little extra (sassafrass)in the riser area

They are fun, easy to make and to tiller!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline wildbill001

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Good build.  Love the use of Ace bandages during the glue up !

Bill

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
I've been gluing up wood laminates and testing them out. I just finished 8 Oak and 4 Ash with Osage or Cedar bellies. Two of them broke - I didn't have the wood bending near the riser and they both broke there. I started with 3/4 boards, tapered them, glued on a block for the riser and then cut it on the bandsaw. I then glued on the Osage or Cedar belly and tillered it, sanding the BACK of the bow. I know, take off from the belly but I thought since they are boards anyway I would do the back. Some I glued on cloth for a backing and some are plain. Today I glued up 2 all Osage bows, Should be interesting. I got an Osage tree last year from a friend ( It fell over ) the wood is sooooo stringy I have a difficult time getting a blank so we sawed it into strips and are gluing them up for bows. I have lots of it so nothing lost and lots of experiance gained. The 10 bows I made up ? They are sitting in a cornor of the house, was going to sell them at "Fall Foliage" this year ( I marked them " for display only" ) Don't want to get sued if someone gets hurt.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
All I have ever built so far was all-wood laminated bows.  I have had successes and failures.  All of the failures were due to rushing the tillering process or from trying to do things that haven't been done (successfully) before. I really wish I had a laminate grinder and want to make or buy one soon.  If you plan to make the bows to sell, you would be beter off going into fiberglass laminated bows as most consumers prefer this in my experience.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Fall Foliage is something Bedford County does every year. We have all kinds of crafts like Wooden spoons, baskets,etc. Everything made by hand, I'm not going into a business , no way. I made them to sell at this event. My partner didn't get her application in on time for a table, so I guess they will be here until next year. I have a "shop" outside covered with a tarp and its not really something to work fiberglass in. Just do it for fun.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©