Author Topic: Bow help, warped limb!  (Read 344 times)

Offline SouthShoreRat

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow help, warped limb!
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
I have a recurve with a slight warp in one limb, is there anywhere I can send it to have it repaired.
The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow help, warped limb!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
Sometimes you can twist it back by hand..just grab the end of limb and twist it past straight a few times and string it up pull back a few times and maybe it will be straight again..it may take a couple of times to get it right..use the search function and search limb twist and you will get more info

Offline SouthShoreRat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
It has already been back to Martin and it is still warped I think the limb maybe uneven, ie a weak side. I will look around on the net.
The things you do today will be tomorrows topics of conversation, make it a good story!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
OK,didn't know it had already been back to Bowyer.. I assume you are using a stringer and are storing the bow correctly. Looks like another trip to Martin? maybe they will send you a new bow. Good luck and I hope you get this problem solved quickly.

Offline SouthShoreRat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Yes I always use a stringer, it actually came from them warped, sent it back and it came back warped. I'm not sending it back I had to wait almost two months and when it came back it was still warped. I will continue to look until I find a real bowyer that can fix it. Since I have another one that is perfect Im really in no hurry, Im sure I will find a qualified bowyer that can fix it.

Offline SouthShoreRat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
Guys, there has to be some bowyers out there that repair warped limbs, any suggestions?

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
Do like Robert suggested, fix it yourself. Twist that limb and/or leave strung for a while. My son fixed an old Bear like that. Stayed that way too........Art

Offline SouthShoreRat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
As I stated earlier the bow was warped from the factory and it was sent back and was still warped when it came back. I tried the the suggestion prior to making the post and it didnt help. I am thinking the bottom limb is weak or thinner on one side then the other so I need an expert bowyer to let me know for sure.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Do you have any pics? Warped or just twisted limb? Limbs that are twisted or not aligned with each other when looking down from one limb tip to another can be fixed usually just like robert suggested.

Offline SouthShoreRat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
I should have stated twisted rather than warped, sorry. I will see if I can get pics, maybe you guys can give some advice that will work. But the suggestions of robert didnt work for me or martin!

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Some people use the bump method which is twisting the limb in the opposite direction of the limb twist and holding it in place for 10-15 seconds and repeating several times until the limb holds its new position. Normally you will twist and hold futher than you would think possible or appropriate if you've never done this. I basically twist about as far as i can with moderate pressure and hold it there, release and see where you are. You are basically stretching it the opposite way. Some people use heat but the glues could easily be compromised so i wouldnt advise it unless nothing else works.

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:59:00 AM »
Hey Guys,

I´m using the warm water method. For this method i let run warm water (about 40-50 degree celsius) down the twisted limb until the limb is on temperature, and then i twist the limb in the opposite direction.
some friends of me are rubbing the limb on temperature with a piece of cotton.

greets
Herm
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©