3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: limb thickness on lam bows=?pounds. help!  (Read 323 times)

Offline stickbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
limb thickness on lam bows=?pounds. help!
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
C  :confused:  an anyone tell me how to know what total thickness of limb laminations will equal what poundage range for a 58" longbow or how to get close without building 50 bows to get it right? Is there a formula you use or something?
Ahhhhh!  Smell Those Cedar Splinters!

Offline Bowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: limb thickness on lam bows=?pounds. help!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
I think that Binghams website has a chart for their bow designs and if your going to vary from the design you can call them and they will provide some guidance as to the thickness you're looking for.
Freedom isn't Free!

U.S. Army Retired

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
If you're talkin glass lam bow,Binghams has a chart in the back of the catalog. Elmont told me with no change in riser,3.5 # per inch gain for shortening a bow.I would imagine that would only work for a ways,because it'd get really stiff the closer you get to the riser. Heres the chart for longbow....

And their website.....

http://binghamprojects.com/

Good luck!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
There is a lot to be considered when it comes to limb thickness build-up when making a Bow be Recurve or Long Bow, the Width and Thickness of the Glass and Wood Laminations that are used on the Back and Belly of the limbs. How the limbs are tapered both width wise and thickness wise from the fades at the Riser to the tips. Above all have FUN even if you have too make several Bows before you get it right....ONE SHOT...  :D    :D    :D    :)

Offline stickbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
thanks guys. i've built a 68" longbow i ordered the lams from bingham and and wanted a bow about 45 lbs it came out 68lbs. then i done a recurve from them to be 45 lbs but it turned out 65. and i used the patterns they provide. i'm sure it's something i'm doing wrong but I trapped the limbs and got them into my shooting pound range. i have a tomohawk "SS" now and want to try to build a bow similar to it at 58". Just a little confused.Thanks for the help. I'll try to call them and see what they say!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
Do you have some dial calipers? Do some measuring on the bow you wanna copy,same thickness should work on the one you build as long as bow length,riser length and all stays the same.Check for tapers in limbs and reverse tapers in the tips.One thing I've learned is don't put high $ lams and glass in the first bow off a form! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline stickbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
good idea! haven't even thought of that. there are tapers in the limbs. and the limbs are trapped. but that should get me close. and by the way i put curly maple under clear glass with purpleheart riser on my first bow attempt. worked greated until i tried to tiller it and the top limb delaminated.... lesson learned!!  :knothead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©