Author Topic: Band saw blades  (Read 266 times)

Offline Buck Buckley

• Trad Bowhunter
Band saw blades
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
What type of blabe can I use too cut fiber glass  I got a 12 in craftsman  I put a new blade on and tryed to cut  the fiber glass  , what a mistake  that blade won,t even cut hot butter. What can I do. thanks for the help BUCK

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Band saw blades
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »
Ahhh.. the age old problem.  Has been discussed many a time!  .. LOL

I also have the craftsman 12".. love it.  So I NEVER cut fiber glass with it.  I have a Ryobi 9" bandsaw with a beater rip blade I use to cut the fiberglass.  Blades are only 8 bucks and I can get two bows out of them.  The 12" only cuts wood.  You can use an old blade as well on the 12", I just hate changing out blades all the time.

Someone mentioned that carbide blades will do it, but I have a hard time spending 70 plus bucks on a blade
God gave you hands, use them

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
I bought a carbide blade for my 12inch craftsman saw it was $120..the only glass I cut is the riser, grip and arrow shelf cutout..i have cut 14 bows on this blade,it has dulled some but still cuts nicely. I finished a bow recently with 26 layers of glass in the riser,no problem the saw cut it and never slowed..the one I am working on now has at least 12 layers of 050 glass in the riser, again no problem,no smoke.. That blade has cost me $9 per bow so far. I think it will be good for a few more risers..i still use my belt sander to shape limbs.  

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Lots of folks have gone to a bench sander with a long belt, used as an edge sander. A 36 grit alumina zirconia (blue) planer belt will remove the waste in pretty quick order. Just wear a respirator in either case!
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©