Author Topic: first bow build...ash/maple/ash? ???? weigh in  (Read 504 times)

Offline 2crazy2run

• Trad Bowhunter
first bow build...ash/maple/ash? ???? weigh in
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Hi wonderful ones.... I'm a custom woodworker of 22 yrs. I have caught the trad bug in a terrible way. Bought a Martin Savannah a few weeks ago and have been hunting arrows ever since....... point is I want to build some bows! I've worked with exotics but prefer homegrown woods from the earth around me. Have some local black walnut....maple...cherry....white ash(a favorite).... various oaks .....I want to build a multi tapered lam longbow with moderate r/d. I want the ash backing and belly with a maple tapered mid lam and a laminated walnut riser......what about glass layers ....yes or no......is this a good combo. Trying to get some good ideas of what works from you folks that have beenbee
Focus on the target!!

Offline 2crazy2run

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first bow build...ash/maple/ash? ???? weigh in
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
Hit the wrong button....trying to get some feedback on your experiences or opinions.... thanks!
Focus on the target!!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:44:00 AM »
Welcome to the addiction! Sorry I can't help but, hang in the someone here should chime in soon on your questions.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline 2crazy2run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Come on guys ....... a little encouragement.....some opinions....anything! I read that you cud use drywall fiberglass tape in b/n layers to help your bow hold its form after tillering....is that crazy?! Ash/glass/maple/glass/ash is the combo I'm leaning toward......whatcha think?!?
Focus on the target!!

Offline Kenboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
I would put the glass layers on the outside. If you use clear glass, it will nicely bring out the grain of your outer laminations. Lately, on R/D longbows, I've been using more plain-jane laminations, like bamboo actionwood, red elm or hickory; more exotic woods for the riser; and black glass outer laminations. Among other factors, the farther apart the glass lams, the greater the draw weight. I'd suggest you take a look at binghamprojects.com for a good weight chart, poorfolkbows.com for plans for a quick, cheap and effective bow oven made of foil covered foam insulation and the several build-alongs posted over the months by Tradgang members. For glass, laminations, glue and other sundries, I like Kenny's Custom Archery, Bingham Projects, Old Master Crafters (in Waukegan, Illinois, but no website) and 3Rivers. It is an addiction. I've run out of people to give bows to. Have fun.

Offline 2crazy2run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Thanks Kenboy!!!! Trying to decide just how much r/d i want and where........about to layout my first form! The joy is in the journey. God bless
Focus on the target!!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Kenboy I am a lefty and draw about 45lbs you can always ship one my way if you just have to have some one to give one to.    :goldtooth:

Offline 2crazy2run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
Heck yeah! Rh...shoot a 60# ...wud like a 45#er sometimes..thanks again for the advice.
Focus on the target!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©