Author Topic: Video added..Kentucky Coffee Bean  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Video added..Kentucky Coffee Bean
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
:coffee:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Last night after work I visited the stave again and after staring at it for a while I changed my mind and decide to find out how to straighten one. I played with a few clamps and wedges and arrived here.

Should I stop here and start tillering?

The stave actually ended up with about 3/4" of reflex   :)  

Before

After

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »
Get her going is what I would do, but I am no expert. Now where did the experts run off to.  :)

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
That's a very nice lookin' piece of wood, Coaster.
Wayne gave good advice about leaving the handle alone until later. I shaped the handles on my first few bows and had a devil of a time keeping them on the tiller stick and tree. Now I rough the handle to about the right dimensions but leave it flat.
I'm with Kelly, get with it, man! But then I've been guilty of rushing things every now and then.
  :bigsmyl:

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
As you can see in the pictures the string is not centered anymore...  I'm not sure what has made it so but how do I get it centered again? Should I tiller the bow from the strong side? Heat and bend it?

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Well got the string centered and I'm trying to get the bend right....  Not there yet. This Kentucky Coffee Tree stave seems very tough and has not given me one indication that it is not sound....  I'm about [email protected] right now so well within my target weight (45 to 50@28). There are some spots in this stave where the wood is much harder and resists tools a bit. I have to be careful not to eat wood around the hard spots. The tiller tree is leaning and gives a bit of a misread in the picture. I shot it a few times, not a full draw of course.... it's hard to know for sure but seem very quick....  I’ll keep posting and if some one seen a goof let me know.

Thank you

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Added a little Cheese  :)  I build my own deep sea fishing jigs and had some blue polish so it's a blue eyed snake...

I used a piece of walnut burl for the tips. It was very brittle I hope it doesn't fall appart?

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
The bow is narrower than I planned but the stave kind of led me there....  I hope it holds up? I shot the bow about 35/40 times today and it really pops an arrow down the pipe. This bow is much quicker than I expected and the wood has a very solid feel to it. It tillered out to a finished 48.5@28 and it is 66"s end to end and 63+ nock to nock....  The bows final dementions are 1" thru the handle (no perceptible bend) 1 3/8's at the fades and out to 6"s then tapers down to 3/8"s at the tips....  The bow took about 1 3/4"s of set (I can't seem to figure out how to keep a bow straight) I've got two coats of tru-oil on it and am trying to find the right leather for the grip. The tips are Poplar and Walnut Burl...  So far the bow seems to very strong and this Kentucky Coffee wood looks to be very forgiving. It has to be to work for me   :)   I'll try to finish and post finished pictures and maybe a short shooter video. Thanks for the help and suggestions.....

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2011, 01:57:00 AM »
Done with Bow #2

I won't be able to shoot it for a few days but I will try to post a video when I do...

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 04:51:00 AM »
Good job man!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Thanks Joe, I took your advice and took the wooopy dooo's out. This wood is very cooperative and responded to the dry heat very well. I missed your dimensions a bit but it seems to work  :)

The wood on the back of this bow is as featureless as brown glass (no grain) and screams for some snake skins but the belly shows lots of grain detail. I need to find some skins (another lesson) for the back but for now I want to see if it's going to hold up. There are some things I would do different but again I was happy to hit my weight and keep #2 from the kindling box….along with you folks bow#2 was another good teacher .....

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
vanillabear, with me in the picture everything else looks great   :)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
I think those who did speak up, gave you good sound advice but, I think you may have missed some of the better builders while they were off hunting elk or some exotic dream animals. (Oops,,, just saw your black bear avatar!) They usualy chime in with more timely and detailed advice than you seemed to have gotten here.
All I get to hunt are these pulblic land Ohio Whitetails... Sneaky critters!

Your finished bow does look nice. Now let's see the second one!!!!! Or atleast the shooting vid you speak of.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
no bow builder here..but the coffee tree looks fairly close to a wild cherry "as far as bark goes" i have cut one down the wood will dry on the out side but never seems to dry inside holds alot of water..an they have large bean pods on them like a locust but alot thicker.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Wow that tiller came out great, and you have a fine looking bow now; for sure.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:00 AM »
Joe if it weren't for a couple of broken toes I'd love to be out hunting something and Ohio Whitetails would be plenty exotic for this old west coast dude    :)    Just got home from work (9pm out west) so I won't be shooting the bow for a bit.... Hopefully Wednesday and Thursday

Thanks Kelly I just found a thread here that shows how to use the paint program and between that and the Gizmo things seemed to work out pretty well. All in all I'm pretty happy with the result. The few shot I did take felt down right snappy....

sticbow split the wood and seal the ends and back,,,  it makes pretty decent bow wood "I hope"    :)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »
Paint program

It's not perfect but seems to shoot well and I hit my weight.....

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
well looks like it shoots as sweet as it looks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©