Author Topic: Question About A Band Saw  (Read 434 times)

Offline Wingless Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Question About A Band Saw
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
I am looking to buy a cheap band saw, and i know you pay for what you get, but i just want to know if its good. it is listed on **** as a Skil 9" Band Saw with Light 3385-01. I dont really know much about band saw performances. i used to play around with my grandfather's when i was a kid. but thats about it. i just want something that is on the cheap side, and i can use to help reduce a stave. im looking at a scroll saw from Skil, as well. its a Skil 16" variable speed scroll saw. Please let me know what you think about them, or any other ones you think would be better.

Thanks,

JL

p.s. i apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
You see I'm against hunting, in fact I'm a hunt saboteur. I go out the night before and shoot the fox.
-Tim Vine

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question About A Band Saw
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
You won't be roughing any staves out on a 9" band saw, too small, not enough power. Not familiar with the scroll saw but suspect the same problems as with the mentioned band saw.

Bottom line you need a 12" or bigger band saw with 1hp or more.

An old(American made) Craftsman 12" with a 1/2 hp motor will work just fine with the right blade. I used one for years but upgraded for more hp a few years ago.

I checked Craig's list for band saws in Fla and found bunches of them at really cheap prices. Probably your best way to go if you don't want to spend a lot of cash.

Offline Wingless Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
Thank you! i wasnt planning on using the scroll saw for roughing out the staves. it would be more for the riser for my takedowns. i think it would work for that. but i will definitely be looking for a more powerful one then. i will have to look into the scroll saw thing to be sure though.
You see I'm against hunting, in fact I'm a hunt saboteur. I go out the night before and shoot the fox.
-Tim Vine

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
A small saw might work for roughing out a stave, but sooner or later you'll want to do other things like sawing veneers or re-sawing boards and then you'll wish you had a bigger saw.
I agree with Mr. Krewson, a 12" or bigger saw with at least 1/2hp. It's cheaper in the long run to get a tool that you will likely keep for a long time than to buy a lesser tool to save a few bucks now and regrett it later. I speak from experience. I once bought a cheap wood lathe. It did the job, (barely) but it was poorly built and constantly threatened to let go the workpiece while I was turning it. For a few bucks more, I could have got a much better model and I wouldn't be looking for a new one now. There is nothing worse than stuggling to do good work with bad tools. It can dishearten a person to the point of giving up.
Look around for used tools. The market is full of good buys. You can also check out local tool auctions.
One thing though. Stay away from 3 wheel bandsaws. They might look like a good idea because they offer a deep throat and can fit a big piece of wood under the guides, but they require very thin blades that cost more and break easily.(again from experience).  :banghead:  
Happy tool hunting!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I have that little bandsaw and it works great for me, buy a good blade and don't cut any glass and you will be fine.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Spend the $375 on the Grizzly 0555, or wait until you can. Cheap and undersize saws are no good for roughing. I had a 9" and 10" Craftsman and never could do much with either when it came to stave work. Buy a 14" plus saw the first time and save the headaches.

Offline Wingless Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
thanks everyone. I think im gonna spring for the better one.
-Tim Vine

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Like Eric said, watch your local craigslist tools section.  That is where I got my bandsaw and a lot of other good used tools.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
i have a 9 inch skil and it works well for all types of wood work even roughing out .
but when ya get it go ahead and get a better set of blades for it . the origanal is not the best . but with any small or under powered equip you jus gotta take it slow and steady lol.

Scott

Offline ryguy24000

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
try cutting veneers out of purple heart and you'll want a 14" 1HP+ BS.
be patient on craigslist you can get super deals.  I bought a 12" Hitachi with a Kreg rip fence, 3 blades.  thing was hardly used for $125. Rip fence retails for $125  I have seen JET 14" go for under $250.  Be patient!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©