3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help on footing arrows  (Read 3029 times)

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
Help on footing arrows
« on: December 31, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
Hi guys, I've got a bunch of arrows that are broken either just behind the point, or are split 3-5" at the nock. I'd like to be able to splice them or foot them or something, because I'm running out of arrows!

I saw the how-to on making the footing jig, but I don't know enough about footing for it to make any sense. Does anyone have a pictoral of the various stages of footing a shaft, or a "foot along?"

I'm limited in the tools I have: cordless drill and dremel. I've been saving my bucks for either a drill press or a bandsaw, but have not purchased either yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help on footing arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 01:29:00 PM »
Did i show you,the footings,that i bought from Asharrow?The ones that just slip over a point taper.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »
No, Skip was saying something about that. Are they decently strong?

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »
OK, just took a long hot shower and I think the lightbulb finally came on.

So the jig is to hold the arrow at the proper angle so that if you ran a router or a drill press along the edge of the jig, it would make a 90-degree groove in the arrow that would taper up the shaft to nothing. Four such grooves would make the end of the arrow look like an X or a cross. Two would make it look like a pie with the two opposite quarters missing. The former would be a "four point" footed arrow, and the latter would be "two point" right?

Then if you were making a two point, you'd do the same on the foot blank, and also cut a slot down the middle. Is that right? For a four.... you'd have to center drill it somehow at the same angle as the jig... and cut two perpendicular slots. That sounds much harder to do.

I assume you would cut the slots in the hardwood foot, rather than the cedar arrow?

Is it ok to foot with cedar to cedar? How about those oak dowels they sell at Home Depot?

I'm envisioning a jig like in the how-to, a 90-degree v groove router bit and the router dremel attachment. Does that sound reasonable? Not sure how I would cut the slot without a bandsaw though. Hmmm.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 02:58:00 PM »
I am really interested in those reparrows that asharrow makes. anybody have any pros and cons?

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
I haven't tried it yet, but I found a website that does a decent job of explaining the process here:

http://www.africanarcher.com/footed.html

Again, I've zero experience, but maybe this'll help?
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »
The Reparrows work great.  These are some I've done.

However, you can make a simple single splice footing pretty easy and they work great.  I've done a bunch of these like below

Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 05:30:00 PM »
Just a fairly simple jig on your disc belt sander is all you need.  The angle is about 5 degrees for a 3 1/2 to 4" length splice.  It's stronger than the original shaft..  

You'll need some wood glue and rubber bands.

Or you can do aluminum footings.  They will work but I like wood footings the best.  More traditional      :biglaugh:    

I love this country ;-)

Offline 42WLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 05:36:00 PM »
Now that is thrifty!
Dave Thomas
VP, Rockfish Bowhunters Club

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 07:25:00 PM »
Thanks Van, King of Thrift!

I'll have to give that a try. Right now priority is function. Later on maybe I'll try the fancy ones.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
Van, my question is how in the devil do you manage to break so many arrows? LOL You need to shoot at something a little softer!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Traxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
T,
The footings,work well.The weakest point of em,are where the thinnest part of em connect to the shaft.Skip came up with a solution,that is gonna make these things darn near indestructable.
It involves a tool he has,a drill,and some bamboo skewers.We did one up at his place.Its pretty cool.
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
The reparrows are the best thing to come along since...anything for wood arrows.  I've done some Van's way which is very cool, but you can't beat the reparrows for ease of use.

Buy some, well worth the cost.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I've heard about this infamous bamboo skewer jig.  What size drill do you use?

Who sells the Reparrows?

Offline NativeArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
please explain this skewer jig please thanks...matt
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
 Van, my question is how in the devil do you manage to break so many arrows? LOL You need to shoot at something a little softer!  
I do manage to break a few but I mostly repair those discarded on the range by others.  I got a couple of folks who save them for me also.  You can never have too many broken arrows.  Come in handy for all sorts of suff  ;)  ...Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
NEVADA breaks arrows-lots of them.
Skip here.
My jig is a simple iron round stock (3.5 by 1.5 inches) with a  11/32+ hole to about 2 inches deep drilled in the center bottom. From the top 1.5 inches I put an 1/8 hole.  I simply insert teh arrow shaft on the bottom end and drill a 1/8 inch shaft from the top.  it centers itself.  then I taper the point and place a bamboo screwer n.  the bamboo takes up a lot of the flex without breaking, and I do not glue the bamboo, only the point tot he taper.  It seems to work pretty well.  I have access to a multitude of milling , lathing and welding ops as they build airpanes from the ground up.  Make things up and go build them to see it it works.

Kerry, I have everything you need to repair arrows-including a jig to foot my shafts using 1/16 hard wood pieces-these work rreally well and weights the shaft so your FOC can be adjusted as you go!  I'll post some pics when I get a camera compatible with internet.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
I knew it! I was gonna say that I bet Van has a quiver full of a great variety of types of fletching and cresting.
  :biglaugh:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline ChrisS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
Alright, you guys are going to laugh at this.. it looks crude but it works.

I came up with 2 methods, the first was just a couple of hardwood 2x2's. First I routed the groove, then took a jack plane to the top to angle it. My dremel with router attachment just rides on top and the fence follows one of the sides.  I use a diamond shaped bit. The bit wasn't really meant to cut with the tip, but it still works.

The second method is similar, but it uses the side of the bit instead of the tip, so it cuts better.  I couldn't find my sled for this method, so just imagine a similar one to the one in the picture, but tapered on the bottom. I mount the router attachment fence to a saw horse so that the fence adjusts the height. Then I just set the depth and run the sled through, rotate the arrow, rinse and repeat.

"The most insidious influence on the young is not violence, drugs, tobacco, drink or sexual perversion, but our pursuit of the trivial and our tolerance of the third rate."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©