3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Badlands Packs--? about size to buy  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Badlands Packs--? about size to buy
« on: February 06, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
I'm looking for a pack that will carry rain gear, change of clothes, gille suit, food, water, etc. Something that will allow me to stay out all day and if I get a wild hair maybe over nite. Considering the Badlands Hypervent; the Badlands 2200 or the Badlands 2800. Don't want to go to big but consider to big better than to small. Having a hard time visualizing the 600 to 800 cubic inch difference in these packs. Your input would be appreciated.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Badlands Packs--? about size to buy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I have the 2800, I LOVE IT.  I use it for everything from running cat to elk to turkeys.  Its also a great way to carry a doublebull

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks Wifishkiller, I had not thought about that. I use an Invisablind on occasions. That might come in handy. Can you shoot you bow with the pack on your back?

Offline Barclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Another question, Where can you put a medium-heavy jacket or coat if using the 2800? Does a cold weather coat fit inside  one of those tubular batwings out of the rain/snow, or do you lash it between the  two batwings?

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
I keep my coat on the outside of my 2200. I can get a lot of stuff in that pack, along with a bunch of water in the hydration system.

Also have the Stealth RLT fanny pack and the hydration pack that marries up with it..and they are great. That roll top closure feature to avoid the opening and closing of zippers is a great idea!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
Yea you can shoot with it on.  I always put them in the middle Like you stated.  If weather is bad I normally have a few bags along as well.  I can get my wool rich wool jacket in one of the wings.  So I don’t see a problem with any reasonable sized jacket fitting.

Offline Barclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 05:51:00 PM »
Thank you. The wings hold a bigger jacket than I thought they would, that's great.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
I bought the Badlands "Monster Fanny" recently after my old day pack zipper gave up the ghost.
 The "Monster Fanny" has straps on the bottom that holds a roled up Jacket very well. It also has a strap on the top side that you can hold a rain jacket pretty scurely. It's really comfortable and you can shoot a bow with it loaded with no major problems.
 I can wear a camleback on top of it like it was designed to go together! I use it with my Summit "climber stand" and it works good underneath the climber.
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
Have you checked out the horn hunter packs? I have not and can give ya no info but would like to get my hands on one before I buy.

I just use a military spec medium assault pack, good pockets and good usability(is that a word?) don't think it can be beat as a day or overniter pack.

It is pretty rough and rugged as well

Later

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
Oh yeah, definatly practice while wearing it! can make a difference.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I have the 2200 and love it.  I had a Bison Gear pack and sold it to buy the Badlands, and glad I did.  It is built like a tank and will probably out last me!  You might also want to look at the Super Day pack, it is a beauty also.  
Good luck.
Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 08:32:00 PM »
I have had a badlands 2200 for over 6 years. It is showing some wear, but they guarantee their work for life. I will most likely get it patched this year.

Mine has a rear(side against you back)access that I love. I use it more than any other access in my pack.

IMO you can't go wrong with the badlands 2200.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
I've been looking at these packs too.

What is a "bow belt"?

Offline Goatpacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Badlands 2200 here. This pack is perfect in size if I had on any larger I would carry to much stuff. Can't beat their warranty.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
I have a 2200 and a Monster Fanny.  I use the Monster a lot for my 1/2 day back 40 deer hunts and the 2200 for my all day type outings when I take extra clothes, food, lots of water,etc..

The 2200 has got to be the most versitile pack ever.  Can haul a huge load or even meat if needed (could do an overnight no problem) or use it as a day pack.  The instant access "back door" is awesome, you just undo your shoulder straps and spin around the pack so it is facing you, undo the zipper and you have access to the inside of the pack.  Works great for turkey hunting when I want to quickly get to a call, binocs , or something without making a lot of movement.  

Badlands backs their stuff 101%, you can't lose.

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Barclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
A heads up....Badlands is making a lot of changes to their line of packs. Their website doesn't show the changes yet, still shows the old models. The 2007 line won't be available until this May or June, according to a Sage Creek Outfitters' spokesperson who posted a link to pics of the new packs on the Bowsite forums.
  Folks might want to hold off on buying a new Badlands pack till the 07's are out in late May, or maybe find a previous version for sale cheap on E-bay etc?

Offline Lon Sharp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
I hunted with the 2200 the last couple years and just  bought a 2800, specifically for those times when I want to do serious bivy.  I found with rain gear and extras (bivy tent, sleep bag, pad, etc.), the 2200 was just a tad too small for an extended elk bivy.  In fact I ended up tying a small fanny pack on top of it, which amounted to a couple days food supply.  The 2800 is just enough bigger...  The 2200 will still be the regular hunting pack, plenty suitable for an overnight.  Both have lots of tie on/tie down options.  I do love the inside access feature of the 2200 that others have already mentioned.  Great packs.

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
I have the 2800 and can fit 3 days worth of food and accessories in it.

Great pack.

It may be a little big just for all day stuff.
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Goose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »
Just took a look at the pictures of the new 2007 packs.  They look good but don't really feel the need to sell my 2200 yet.  
Thanks for the heads up Barclay.

Goose
Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the input. Can always count on you guys to provide solid info based on hands on experience. Sounds like the 2200 will do everything I need to do with the possible exception of carrying my Invisablind which was not a factor when I first made this post.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©