3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadhead Advice  (Read 251 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Broadhead Advice
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
OK folks, this is coming from a die hard Snuffer fan. I'm thinking of trying the Grizzly broadheds. I figured I should follow my own advice and try new things. Not to mention I was a little embarressed at Mr. Lambs post when I could only post one BH used instead of the 5 requested.   :coffee:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadhead Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
I almost forgot, How's the bloodtrail with these?   :thumbsup:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
They fly like darts. I have used them all depending more on balancing my tackle to the bow. They aren't hard to sharpen once you get the hang of it. Because the bevel is on one side they seem to do strange things inside the boiler room. I also remember my friend ferret commenting on seeing them go through a boar in Floride lengthwise. I personally hunt with grizzly broadheads exclusively and was a magnus-zwickey eskimo man prior to falling for them. They will blow through bone.....for blood trail they won't leave as much of a hole as your snuffer but a blind man will find a grizzly shot deer too. Sharpening see   shaprpening tutorial
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
I know Bill is not the only one to use these BH.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
I've only used one once, but am tuning up 6 for Africa.  The doe I shot with a 150 el grande with the Ashby grind slipped through her so nice she didn't know she was hit.  Kind of flinched at the shot the meandered down the hill and tipped over.  Made a jig to grind on sanding disk to about 23 degrees and use a Gatco to finish off.  One trick, use a flat stone first on the back side to flatten any manufacturing burr.  I'll have to do a build along on my jig sometime...but I'm getting ready to hopefully stick a couple through some hogs this weekend.  Steve

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
I like and have used them all (except the 145) but have used the 125 more than any other, I find it a very versatile weight.

Super strong, fly like a dream and if you put them where they belong they usually leave bloodtrails better than you'd expect for such a narrow head, (might be the rotation, who knows) but of course they gotta be sharp!

Finding Grizzlies at the moment won't be a walk in the park...they haven't shipped anything in months and a whole lot of places are wiped out on them.    :(  

I'm liking these new Zwickeys, they've got the cutting width of an El Grande but are single beveled on either side, so I can get left side now, and they are easier to sharpen IMO than the Griz to boot.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:52:00 AM »
Thanks fellows for the advice.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
I have used all but 145. Fly great, lighter heads easer to sharpen than the elgrande.

I use my belt sander to flatten the angle on the head first. Then a lansky with a coarse diamond hone to get the 25 degree angle. Finish with a file and knock off the bir. Make the tonto tip on the belt sander. It aint easy but to me well worth the effort.

There is a post asking for favorite 5 heads I only have one, unless you count the different grain weight on the griz.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©