Author Topic: How do you make tapers?  (Read 412 times)

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you make tapers?
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I know you use a taper to grind another taper, but what if you don't have one. Is there a way to make tapers without another taper?

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you make tapers?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 06:20:00 AM »
i bought a real nice taper sled from kennym
Mike

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:54:00 AM »
You mean point and nock tapers? I made a jig for my belt sander. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/simplearrow.html

Offline perry f.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks, but I'm referring to lam tapers

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Getting the aluminum sled set from Kirk is the A1 approach, but practical only if you're building quite a bit.   A2 would be get a taper from Kenny.  For that matter, Kenny will make you a sled.  Somewhere around level B2, but perfectly workable, is make your own.   BKK (before I got a taper from Kenny and then the sleds from Kirk) I made my first taper sled by using the drum sander to true up two nice maple boards, then running them through a few more times with a wedge between them so the top one was slanted.  Measured carefully after each pass and quit when I had a nice .0015  taper.   I built a lot of bows with that sled, and it's still hanging on my shop wall.

When I got my aluminums from Kirk, i made up new wood sleds so I wouldn't damage the alums.  I covered that in a set of shop pix that are on my site under the link:  "How It Goes":

http://www.dickwightman.com/archeryactivity/bowbuilding/howitgoes/howitgoes.html
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
You'll just have to break down and buy a taper or sled.

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
I made my own, I screwed a 1X1" on a 6" board 4' long at the angle I wanted. Now I hold the bow ( 5/8" thick ) on the board edgewise and rip a taper. Now I am talking about a 5/8" board not a thin lam!

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »

Here is how I make tapers, or parallels, or whatever, when I 'don't have one'.

This jig is hinged on the backside, and when the two halves are layed flat together, it is used to grind parallel lams. To grind a pair of tapers, I simply add shims at the end as needed. More shims equals more degree of taper.

It's precise, fast and easy to use and adjust, and VERY versatile as only one jig is needed for ANY degree of taper.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
That is a very nice taper jig, did you build it yourself?
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
I had a local machinist do the machine work. The top piece is hollowed out underneith, though not all the way through, to help keep weight down.

Since that picture was taken, I added two adjustable keeper/support plates to each side to eliminate any chance of deflexion as it's run through the sander.

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Hey Jeff, did you have mechanical drawings that you gave the machinist to follow?  If so, do you have a copy to give?  I'd be real interested in having a nice template to build my own.
Also, what thickness shims do you use, and did you make those out of something else?

Mike
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
Sorry, no drawings, just gave him the pieces and told him what I needed done. He made the two plates and the close-tollerance hinge and I took it from there.

The shims are stock B shims, cut off short and drilled to accept the 1/4 pins. If you stack a bunch of them up, clamp them, and drill them all at once, then you can bolt them tightly together with 1/4" bolts and cut them all at once with a band saw or cutoff disc. I prepared a multitude of shims of various thicknesses so that the degree of taper was widely and finely adjustable. With it, I can grind lams with .001 taper, or less, OR grind a 1/2" thick belly core for a bamboo backed bow at 1/8 or 3/16 taper, etc. All one jig, and it takes just seconds to make any adjustments.

The shim pins are 1/4" stainless bolts with the heads cut off and threaded into the base plate. The top plate has holes drilled in it, underneith, to receive the pins as the two pieces come together.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I have bamboo taper sleds that i make for guys all the time. Unfortunately the aluminum ones are no longer available. Check out my bowyer's supply page.

kirk

http://www.bigfootbows.com/

Offline StoneAK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
I just got a taper sled from Kenny tonight will keep you all posted on the progress. Also just got my Grizzly drum sander in today it is Awesome
"He never promised that the cross would not be heavy and the hill wouldn't be hard to climb"
"I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul"

10 Year Active Army Disabled Vet.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©