Author Topic: Snake skin scales  (Read 463 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Snake skin scales
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I got a set of Copperhead skins from snakewood3...  I have done some searches here and am not completely satisfied with the information...

My question is, how do you remove the scales without damaging the skin or should I just leave them on?
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snake skin scales
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Try to rub them off the dried skins with your hand before glueing the skins down. Once glued down you can use masking tape and blot the surface to remove the scales(actually dead skin).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
I stretch the skin out on my bench first before glueing it on the bow. I clamp the ends down with wooden block, then put masking tape on the whole skin. When you peel the tape back off, a lot of the scales will come off. I keep doing that till all the scales are gone. Seems like the skin goes on the bow easier/smoother with the scales off first.

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Those copperhead scales should come off easily. Be careful whatever method you use as copperheads are thin skins and can be damaged particularly if wet or damp.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Steel wool also works well at removing scales once the skin is applied to the bow and dry.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
Thank you another first for me...  looks like the masking tape might be the safest. I'll give it a try.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
I glue my skins on first and let them dry well. Then rub my my thumbs against scales to address the majorty of scales, I finish up with clear packing tape until the tape pulls clear with no scales on the tape.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
You can also use an air hose (with little air pressure). I was using the steel wool method but I think tape is what I will use from now on.

Also read some where (here I think) That if you go from head to tail you won't pull as many little skin burrs at the point of each scale.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Duct tape, lots of stickum.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Very neat idea Eric.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Slow as I am, that's an explanation I can understand  :)

Nothing better than a picture, thanks Eric!!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
The scale removal picture is an exception to the way it usually works out. I can get the majority of the scales with the first tape application but will have to locates the few remaining scales and blot them up with more tape.

Be sure to pull your tape off head to tail on the skin or you might raise some small projections that will prevent a perfectly smooth surface when it comes time to apply finish.

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Hope I'm not hijacking but this sorta goes with the topic. I have a snakeskin backed bow I got passed along to me. The skin is a little rough like the scales were removed in a less than desirable manner. Best method to smooth it out? Tru-oil over top to seal it? Thanks and sorry.

Offline blacktailchaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
i am with eric..i use duck tape but i touch it on my hand so that it isnt so sticky and do any damage to the skin...john

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
If your skin is rough and already has some finish on it you can sand it lightly with some 600 grit paper. By lightly I mean not more than the weight of the paper. I go back and forth, add a coat of tru-oil let it dry, sand a little more add more tru-oil and so forth until I have an almost smooth skin.

Be very careful on thin skins like copperheads, you can sand through the pattern in a heartbeat.

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Good stuff!!

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
What he said...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement