Author Topic: Cutting a sight window and shelf on a glass bow.  (Read 387 times)

Offline barley40

• Trad Bowhunter
Cutting a sight window and shelf on a glass bow.
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
What are some of the different ways to get a sight window and shelf. I've been hacksawing the shelf and then bandsawing down to that cut.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cutting a sight window and shelf on a glass bow.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
I use the bandsaw for both cuts. Actually, it's several cuts because I cut in at the shelf, then make several 'relief cuts', parallel with the shelf, up along the sight window so that when I change direction and cut out the sight window, I'm cutting off little chunks. It's easier on my blade.

After the bandsaw cuts, I do as much sight window work as possible on the drum sander... and then finish by hand.

The initial shelf cut isn't at exactly 90 degrees because the bow limb hits the throat of the bandsaw, but I finish shaping the shelf and sight window by hand, and adjust it then.

Offline Kenboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
I've been using a table router to cut in sight windows. You have to be sure to cut the shape of the window through the glass layer with a Dremel tool or something before you use the router or the glass will split down (or up) the riser when the router blade cuts through. You kind of have to guess how to turn the riser to get a nice radiused shelf. Make sure your blade is sharp, as some woods will easily chip or split (I'm talking to you, Padauck).

You can get a tapered sight window by starting above where the arrow shelf will be then slightly lowering the router before each pass. Your window will look terraced. Then you smooth it out by hand or with a drum sander.

Another method I use is simply holding the riser against the little Grizzly belt sander. The belt is about an inch wide, but that little sucker is powerful and can sand in a sight window in no time.

Whatever method you use, though, take it super slow. I was amazed by how much damage I can do with a table router when I'm in a hurry.

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
I do it the same way you do.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
I cut the sightwindow out before gluing the bow together, take the window cutout wrap in plastic wrap and put it back in the riser and glue up as usual.  I have always been able to get them out without any problem.  Only draw back it predetermines which limb will upper and lower.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©