Author Topic: Trad Gang bow trade??  (Read 1000 times)

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Gang bow trade??
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm ready to enter the Trad Gang bow trade, Did I miss the deadline or has it even started??  Thanks Chuck  PS is it a big problem living in Canada??

Thanks again, Crgibson

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Gang bow trade??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
Sometime in January is I think is when it got kicked off.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks Soopernate. Look forward to it... Crg

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »
nope canada is fine.eh!

Offline getstonedprimitivebowhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:10:00 AM »
I'd like to put in one of my beaver handle osage selfbows..How do I do it ???
"when  "words" are controled ...so are we !"

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Jeff I dont know, You have to wait for someone else to pipe up or wait for a Trad Gang announcement.
Crg

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
The swap is over.

There will be another one so just keep an eye out.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Sign ups will be in early January and the deadline will be the first week in July just like the last two years.

Just keep an eye out for the signup thread in January. There will be a few rule changes that I think will solve the problem of someone not shipping a bow. Had one do it last year and one this year. But after many suggestions and alot of thought we figured out how to stop it from happening again.    :readit:

Look for it, It will be here before you know it.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks Guys,, I'll keep my eyes peeled

Crg

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Oh I cant wait, I have the sister Osage stave, a hickory stave and a hikory bow blank. After watching last years I want a back up plan for my back up plan.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
My new backup plan after last year is not to start the bow in June!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
Is the selfbows only or is the guys making Glass bows
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
It is my understanding that this bow trade(like the others we've had) is for each of us that is participating to make a bow for our recipient and not just pick one of your already made bows. Find out what your recipient likes as far as bow length, draw length and weight, etc and custom make it for that person. It is probably a good idea to pick out the stave you will use now and even take it down to basic bow shape so when the starting gun goes off you can jump right in and begin your bow. From that point it really doesn't take long to reach the finished bow. Remember this trade runs from January until July. During that 7 month time period you can post pics of the progress of your bow and get help with problems you may run into. This is a team effort and can really be helpful to the newbies that want to join in but don't have the confidence to.
Also remember your skill level doesn't matter. By the time this trade is over you will be a better bowyer than before and it is a community project and not just a way to get a free bow. It was originally set up as a bow givaway, you making the best bow you can for your recipient. It is not about the bow you recieve. If you are only getting into this trade for what you will get out of it you are starting off on the wrong foot and may be dissatisfied with the bow you recieve. If we go into the trade as a learning/teaching experience we will all come out winners.
  So, when the times comes lets all put our best foot forward and challenge ourselves to make the best bow ever. I don't mean for you to experiment with unproven methods and techniques that might or might not work out but make the best bow you can and push the envelope a little to help improve your own abilities.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
It is my understanding that this bow trade(like the others we've had) is for each of us that is participating to make a bow for our recipient and not just pick one of your already made bows. Find out what your recipient likes as far as bow length, draw length and weight, etc and custom make it for that person. It is probably a good idea to pick out the stave you will use now and even take it down to basic bow shape so when the starting gun goes off you can jump right in and begin your bow. From that point it really doesn't take long to reach the finished bow. Remember this trade runs from January until July. During that 7 month time period you can post pics of the progress of your bow and get help with problems you may run into. This is a team effort and can really be helpful to the newbies that want to join in but don't have the confidence to.
Also remember your skill level doesn't matter. By the time this trade is over you will be a better bowyer than before and it is a community project and not just a way to get a free bow. It was originally set up as a bow givaway, you making the best bow you can for your recipient. It is not about the bow you recieve. If you are only getting into this trade for what you will get out of it you are starting off on the wrong foot and may be dissatisfied with the bow you recieve. If we go into the trade as a learning/teaching experience we will all come out winners.
  So, when the times comes lets all put our best foot forward and challenge ourselves to make the best bow ever. I don't mean for you to experiment with unproven methods and techniques that might or might not work out but make the best bow you can and push the envelope a little to help improve your own abilities.
Couldn't have put it any better than this.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
Heck I will be really pushing the envelope this year let me tell you. I get to go from admin to a player.  :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Bout time ya do something Kelly:)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I know Roy I know. With any luck I draw your name so  I can make a little sissy bow, cause lord knows them old men out in PA can't draw a mans bow.  :)

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Man I feel like I was busted. Sure was not my intent for the Trad Trade. My big reason is I'm getting too feel a little more confident in my bow building. But my biggest reason is I'm starting to develop some bad habits. Going to fast and getting sloppy so I figure if I commit to building a bow for the bow trade I will slow down and get my head on right. And like Pat said challenge yourself.

Good point to get your stave picked out and start a rough shape early

Thanks, Chuck

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
Chuck, IMO that is exactly what these bow trades are all about...helping upcoming bowyers over the rough areas so they can help the next group coming behind them.
  The one lesson I learned that changed my bows to real BOWS is learning to slow down. From floor tiller on I only use a scraper. That alone slowed me way down.  
Also, it you feel yourself getting frustrated or angry, put it down and walk away. Come back later when your mind is clear.
  Post any problems you have here and we will walk you through it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Thanks Pat,
 I never get to upset during a build. My problem is I get in a hurry cant wait to get that string on and shoot it, You hit it right on the head I have been just making bows not real bows But getting closer. Thanks again your friend, Chuck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©