Author Topic: Linen Backing Question  (Read 648 times)

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
Linen Backing Question
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I just added some thin linen backing to my hickory D-belly bow mostly for safety cause its so thin across the back. Its 48-50# at 25" Bends through handle and has approx over a 100 shots know signs of stress anywhere, but it just kind of freaks me out.

I sized the back let it dry, then spread TB3 Added linen worked out from 4" handle to tips, then added some thinned down TB3 to top surface again worked from handle to tips..

Question is do I add more TB or just let it dry and seal with finish? And how long do I give the TB to dry till I string and shoot it again?

Thanks, Chuck

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Linen Backing Question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
I've done a few Linen backed bows and leave it to dry for one day then put more glue on top and then wait for two days before stringing. So far so good. Might be overkill I don't know but works for me. I soak the Linen in water first and wring it out and the glue really soaks in that way. I do many coats of Tung oil to seal after and it comes out nice and smooth and glossy. I helped do a friends Maple board bow (his first) and I think the Linen is the only reason that bow is still shooting strong.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks Steve, Crg

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
If the linen is totally saturated with glue you don't need to add more glue. That will just add more physical weight which leads to hand shock.
  One thing that most folks don't consider is that TB glues are water based. When you apply it to dry wood the wood will absorbe some before the glue cures. You have to give the wood enough time to expell the moisture and that moisture now has to travel down through the wood because the back is sealed. So let it rest as long as you can. Maybe even a week in humid areas. Excess moisture leads to set in an stressed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
Cool, Thanks Pat

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
I been wanting to try linen.  What kind do you get and where would you look for it?  There are now fabric shops in my area.  Just Wal-mart.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline dmikeyj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »
Thrift stores, John.  You can get linen from outfits, and some thrifts have a fabric section.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
I love fools' experiments. I am always making them.

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
I second the thrift stores I just pick up some really nice Linen for a $1.00 enough too do 6-7 bows. Good Luck briarjumper12, Crg

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
Thank you gentlemen.  I will be keeping my eyes peeled.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Offline Fantom_42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
I got my linen from a pair of woman's trousers I bought on a thrift store.

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
I got two yards for a bit under $20 from an actual fabric shop. Should be good for many bows. You can get one yard and splice but I wanted a continuous strip. It is a medium weight fabric in white so I can dye it any color I want. I looked at the local walmart and couldnt find any there. I did see some at a Hobby Lobby once so there are places to get it.
Proud to be "regressing"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©