Author Topic: TB3  (Read 581 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
TB3
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Hi gang. Just a quick question about Titebond 3. I'm almost finished getting some wood and bamboo ready to be glued up for another R/D longbow that I am planning to glue up with TB 3. Does this glue have any tendancy to creep over time?
Are there any steps I need to take to assure a good glue up?
Thanks.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: TB3
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
All TB glues will creep over time but I've never noticed any loss of strength because of it. With TB glues you want both glue surfaces flat and smooth. No toothing markes but you can use med sandpaper to smooth it. Be sure both surfaces mate well because TB glues are not gap filling glues.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Thanks Pat, I'll get to work on it as soon as the temp. in the garage rises a bit. I'll post pictures as soon as I start tillering.
Dave.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
waddaya mean by "creep"???

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
This is the way I understand it. Some types of glue, although completely set up, can allow a small amount of wood movement in a stressed glue up, such as a laminated bow.
Although I am a lifelong woodworker, I'm new to stressed glue ups, so if I'm wrong here, someone please chime in and correct me.
Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
I would use Urac185 for the wood to boo bow.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
I used TB2 or 3 can't remember for the bow shown under 'Mission "Red Oak" Impossible'. It's a 3 piece takedown so there was alot of potential for creep between the laminates where the limbs attach to the riser. I noticed some creep (1/32" maybe) but this is like a worst case scenario because it was only 3.5" long the section which attaches to the riser, including the fade. I had one delaminate from bad glue job but was repaired. If you're doing full length back and belly lams I wouldn't worry about it as long as you get tight glue lines.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
Roy, I would have used urac, but I don't have much left and I'm too impatient to wait for the mail right now. Also, I have two bottles of TB 3 here because I massively overestimated how much glue I would need to build a pair of garage doors for my sister. Just to be safe, I didn't glue up a whole new bow. I have one that the back had delaminated on and I sanded off all the backing and old glue. Then I used TB 3 and glued on a thin lam of jatoba and a bamboo back. I let it sit clamped to the form for 24 hours and then removed the excess wood on the bandsaw. So far, it looks good. I had it on the tillering tree this afternoon and I like the way it's bending and holding it's shape.
I'll post a picture as soon as I can get it braced.
Dave.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Ok Dave I understand.

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
I haven't checked to see if this is the case everywhere or not. But our telco repair men carry a 2oz tube of pre measured potting epoxy for repairing underground phone splices, on the tube it is marked Urac 185. May be in ones favor to make friends with your local telephone repairman just in case you are short on Urac.
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Interesting. Next time I see a phone repair guy around, I'll ask him about that.
I'm slowly working on the bow (I just started a new job and I don't have much play time anymore.)
It's still holding it's shape but I still need to remove a lot of wood. It's really heavy. I think I could shoot a steel rod out of it and break a cinder block with it.
Dave.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
It's really heavy. I think I could shoot a steel rod out of it and break a cinder block with it.
Dave, I would love to see a photo of that little trick. See if they let you back in or the next 3D shoot  :)  Now how about some photo's of the beast.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Razorback, if I was the hulk, I would try it but right now I would need a ratchet puller to draw it.  :scared:  That jatoba is really strong.
That brings me to a little problem. Dummy that I am, I left the bamboo too thick on the back and I don't have much belly to sand off. If I were to sand the back down and skin the bow is there a possibility of the bow failing?
Does anyone know if I could get snake skins from the U.S. into Canada and roughly how much they would be to buy?
I'll post a picture tomorrow so you can see the problem. I haven't done any work on it all week because I'm just getting used to my new job and I have a bunch of sore muscles at the end of the day.
Dave.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©