Author Topic: Flemish Braid vs No Braid  (Read 416 times)

Offline jvermast

• Trad Bowhunter
Flemish Braid vs No Braid
« on: November 08, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I'm just wondering what the difference is? I've typically used hand made Flemish Braid Strings for my Self Bows but I recently ordered a Binghams Kit which came with No Braid strings.

Is there a benefit to either?

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flemish Braid vs No Braid
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I've never heard of a bowstring refered to as a No Braid. Are you by any chance thinking of an endless string?
If so, there has been a lot of discussion regarding the difference between Flemish and endless. While there are some performance differences, essentially it comes down to a personal decision.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline jvermast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Thanks Grey, Endless Loop sounds like the right name for them  :)

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
Josh, here's one thread on the subject:
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=105208

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline crgibson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
I like the Flemish strings over the endless they just seem to be a little more organic, All my early bows had store-bought endless strings on them, they all worked fine but never did like the looks of them on  selfbows. Plus it was starting to get expensive to buy strings and if they even had the right size I needed. I get much more enjoyment out of making the Flemish strings mix colors, different weights and I can just set around at night and per make a few strings for future bows. Chuck

Offline Nim-rod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Endless works just fine but a flemish string looks sexy when done right and it's easy to twist one up with a simple jig. For about $10 per 1/4# spool you can afford to get a few colors and experiment with different color combos. My favorites right now are Yellow and black and yellow and orange.
Proud to be "regressing"

Offline DelawareDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
I have to agree, i don't know about the performance side of things but a flemish twist just looks good  :)   and white and blue are currently my favorite color combo.  :)

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Alright I will disagree.  I like the continuous loop strings.  I can mix and match colors just like the others and for me they are more consistent.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I'm gonna chime in with something crazy here ... the best string I've had on a selfbow was a single color, flemish twist string made out of fastflight like material.

It didn't destroy the limbs like some say they can cause flemish twist tends to stretch, but it was nearly silent. No 'dooooiiiinnnnnngggggg' sounds like the more stretchy materials.

I think all the stretch was happening in the loops, and the twisting was limiting vibration or something. I think I'm going to go back to that now that I think about it.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
To me a Flemish twist string looks more traditional because they are. They are actually quieter (IMO) and stronger at the nocks because there is twice the string there. However the Flemish twist string is physically heavier so it does rob a little performance from a bow. I use only Flemish twist strings on any bow I make.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
All I've ever used on the bows I make is B-50 and flemish strings, they are just so sharp looking.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
+1 for flemish and B50.  I have one longbow though that does have D97, but it is also a twisted flemish string.  I prefer the look...it just says "TRAD"
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 04:13:00 AM »
+1 more for the flemish twist strings. Been making my own since I started building bows mainly cause I can't afford to buy that many strings and I can customize the length I want/need for any bow I make. I agree with Pat, flemish twist strings will definitely quiet a bow down quite a bit actually in my experience.
My color faves are black/yellow, black/red, or sometimes 8 strands of black, 2 strands of yellow, and 2 strands of red and it looks kinda cool together. All I use is B50 for everything, but I have thought about trying ArtB's trick with adding a few strands of fast flight of some flavor to the B50 and see if that helps the flemish twist strings settle in quicker with less stretch.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
I think a 50/50 string works muck better than just adding a few strands of Dacron as a dampener to a FF strings Chris. But even that helps. Try one bundle of FF material to carry the whole load and one bundle of Dacron for a dampener. I use 8 strands of Fast Flight in one bundle and 5 strands of B-50/55 in the other (for bows of 45-55#). I make the Dacron bundle 2" shorter than the FF bundle. You stretch it out to match the FF's length when making up the second loop. Keep good pressure on your string as you add the twist.

Once you get it figured out you're be shaking your head wondering why you stayed with the Dacron string so long.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©