Author Topic: i lifted a splinter of glass  (Read 309 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
i lifted a splinter of glass
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
i'm in the process of stripping a set of recurve limbs for refinishing. while scraping with a knife i lifted a small splinter of glass about 4mm in length. it was still joined on. it is on the edge of the limb, belly side, about 4-5mm along the limb from where the tip overlays blend in to the glass. i immediately glued it back down with CA glue. hardly tell it was there now.

please tell me i haven't ruined it or made a spot where limb failure is likely in the future. i figure that area is faiirly stiff and doesn't do any bending so i hope it's ok.

:knothead:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: i lifted a splinter of glass
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
now i've made it worse. i lifted 4 in total on this limb. hope i haven't wrecked it.
all were glued with CA.

in this one you can see one in the bottom of the string nock and the little white dot on the left edge about 1/2" down from the end of the string nock grooves is the 1st one i mentioned.

do you think they will cause me any grief? i want to have a reliable bow.

Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Blkbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
I don't build glass bows, only wood. But I do have an experience that may help you.

A couple years ago, when I joined Trad Gang as a matter of fact. I dropped a 15 foot ladder stand on my Bear super mag 48" It busted the glass on the edge of the upper limb about 1/32" deep and an 1/8th" from the edge about 4" long.

I joined up here after lurking and posted some pics about what to do. I ended up putting ca glue in it and clamped it to keep it tight. I filled and sanded and filled and sanded........

shot the fire out of it to make sure and finally skinned it to cover up the boogered spot and as far as I know she's still shooting. I sold it to another member and as far as I know he still shoots it.

I say ca glue it sand it to smooth it out some and fill it level with the glass and sand it to smooth it and blend it and finish and forget it. She'll hold. The damage I repaired on the Bear was in the middle from tip to riser and was bending alot and held.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I agree with the tip overlay and refile your string grooves. You also could do the same on the other one to. Just be a matter of getting the lineup pin hole drilled right.
High on Archery.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
i think i would avoid using a scraper on fiberglass backed bows and go with sand paper. i think that's your biggest problem.

Ca is the easiest, but smooth on epoxy is more durable and doesn't get brittle. But i've seen some amazing repairs done with CA glue that held up great, and others that failed miserably.

roll dem bones and see what happens.    :bigsmyl:

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
I don't see anything that is going to result in a failed limb here but scraping on glass is a definite no-no. Sanding is the way to go for sure.
      I would use the ca for flow and penetration under the splinter, and try to clamp or tape the area to get the glass back together, but then use smooth-on for filling.

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Clint,
Loctite 420 and a little 320 sand paper, and all will be well.
Sorry we never got to meet when you were here.
Bert.  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©