Author Topic: Video added...Finished .... Hackadextorus ...Flipin Question  (Read 975 times)

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Video added...Finished .... Hackadextorus ...Flipin Question
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Love that handle profile!  That's what i've been shooting for on some of mine, but haven't quite gotten there yet, mine turn out less bulbous in the palm and more flat.  I think i need more wood in the handle before shaping (these were board bows).

Lookin good coaster   :)

You might let it sit in the laundry room or other humid place to help rehydrate till the weekend.
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
How dark did you get that belly Ryan? Got any pics of that portion? Hackberry needs a pretty deep, dark treatment. My first was a touch too light and I got more set than I wanted. The second one came out much better with the extra dark tempering from extended time with the gun.

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
If you heat it again, and you didn't the first time, you may try some crisco on that belly as you heat it to help distribute the heat and keep the top layer from charring while you toast it.  Kinda cool too, you can actually see the water vapor bubbling up through the melted fat as you heat it.
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »
Thank Kevin took my time and really tried for the feel thing. I think I took it to the limit without making a weak spot.

Chris this is the toast after I did a bit of sanding yesterday is was darker before. I hope I toasted it enough?

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Looking great! Can't wait to see the full draw pics and the final unbraced pics.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
Thats a tad light, but thats always better than a tad burnt! Generally speaking I move my heat gun about 1/2" every 2-3 minutes to get a good overlap. Most average length limbs take at least an hour for me to get across. I leave the last 8" alone.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
Got back to the Hackberry today and I think I'm pretty much done except the finish stuff...  It came in about 54@27 and that's a bit stiff for my but it shoots so good I think I may leave it? I slams a 659 grain arrow like a champ. I almost can't believe how quick it feels. After about 100 plus arrows and an arm that feels like it's going to fall off...  

These are the braced and unbraced pics right after shooting. It did not keep the entire reflex but did very well and stayed almost straight. Maybe a 1/2 to 5/8” between the wall and the tip and that is my best attempt at straight so far. All in all I really like the way this bow shoots and it is extremely consistent and accurate....

Thanks all for the help...
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
I think Hackberry is fast because of its light physical weight. Blackhawk just finished off a stave I gave him and he was also suprised at the quickness. Ryan some of that reflex will come back after a few hours unbraced. Nice job so far.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Looks real good.  Learned a lot reading this thread - thanks.  Have some hackberry drying now - can't wait to get to it.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
Nice....You did good job on that one. I like Hackberry my self. I get mine bending good out to about 20 inches then toast it that seem to work pretty well.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
It only took a tiny bit of the reflex back after sitting a bit ( Chris I may not have toasted it enough?) but I couldn't be happier....  It's straight!!!!!!  This one really shoots and loves that 659 grain arrow....  I have to say I really like this wood for a bunch of reasons  :)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
Hackextorus 64”s 54 @27 , is finished ... for now  :)

This bow shoots so hard I decided to leave the tips natural...  don't want to slow it down (I already added string silencers)...  Last piece of leather I had came up a bit small but works for now. I like to build up the back of the handle with carved leather (big old hands) and the string silencers are Alpaca yarn from my wife’s basket. The bow had the tiniest bit of resonance at the shot. Now it is dead silent and Alpaca weighs nothing and didn't seem to change the speed?

Nobody here to take full draw picks but here is the final un-braced pics (maybe 150 arrows total?) and a few more….  Not perfect but every bow teaches me a bit more and this one is a shooter!!

Thank you all for the help and keeping me from an experiment that probably would not have gone well….

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
And to think you were almost ready to hang her upa  few weeks ago! Looks very good to me. We wont let you forget the full draw pics either.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
:)  ....  I tried to hold the camera with my toes ? When the wife gets home I'll do it,,,,  Kind of want to see it myself...

Thanks again Chris for the help. Sure saves a bunch of good wood   :thumbsup:

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Nice bow, coaster! I really like that handle.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
I guess it's ok:)

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Nice looking bow Coaster.  I like working with hackberry also.....Dan

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
My wife came home just long enough to take a video and some pictures...  I had to shoot from my knees as the sun ate up the top limb in the brightness...   anyway here we go..  I had to cant the bow some to make sure the bottom limb cleared...

The tiller isn't perfect and I could probably have still removed a bit of wood for my 50# target but man it shot so right I was afraid to mess with it anymore?

Click on the picture ...  It's a video

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©