Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43200 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I got a snaky billet coming and a sleeve so hopefully it works out. I really didn't expect it to go. I had it bending to 20" and at 21" she just folded up. Kind of a funny break, almost looked like windshake or something. The grain did a funky little swirl where it broke.

I always wanted to do a TD anyway.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stiks-n-Strings:
I got a snaky billet coming and a sleeve so hopefully it works out. I really didn't expect it to go. I had it bending to 20" and at 21" she just folded up. Kind of a funny break, almost looked like windshake or something. The grain did a funky little swirl where it broke.

I always wanted to do a TD anyway.
[/QUOT

Oh man.  I know you had high hopes for that stave.  Sounds like its going to work out though.  Way to put a positive spin on it Kris!
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
I'll still get a super snakey bow Nathan. It'll be a two piece to boot.

:D   It's just another lesson in the never ending craft of being a bowyer
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Dimondback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »
Just finished scraping down my limbs on my first bow...red oak board bow...seemed like a good place to start. I cannot decide if I am am going to back it with silk as suggested. My board has striaght grain throughout and shouldn't splinter but after all the work with hand tools, I would hate to take a shortcut and have problems...any suggestions?
"Do or Do Not, There is no "Try"
Martin Savannah 45#
3PC Home Built Longbow 53# @ 28"
MAJ - SCARNG 1998 - Present

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
When in doubt, back it.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
I redeemed one from the corner of shame over the last two days. It was the first bow I built off of DVS's caul and originally it was meant for the trade bow but came in way light. Finished up the tiller last night to the best I could get it and it looks pretty good. shoots great for a light weight bow, I was pleasantly surprised.

I been buggin the wife toi start shooting and even traded for her a bow several months back and she wasn't motivated. She kept telling me "if you would build me one I'd shoot it"

This one came in at 32# @ 28" and she draws 25" so it will fit her fit her great for a starter. When she is ready to go up a few pounds I can pike it 2" and it should be great for stumpin and 3d shoots. I put some fantastic copper heads on it and she looks great. Probably one of my best looking bows yet. Gonna put it under the tree for her.

I know you want pics. I'll start a new thread in a few days when I get her all dressed up and ready to go under the tree and post plenty of pics I promise
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline nlester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stiks-n-Strings:
I redeemed one from the corner of shame over the last two days. It was the first bow I built off of DVS's caul and originally it was meant for the trade bow but came in way light. Finished up the tiller last night to the best I could get it and it looks pretty good. shoots great for a light weight bow, I was pleasantly surprised.

I been buggin the wife toi start shooting and even traded for her a bow several months back and she wasn't motivated. She kept telling me "if you would build me one I'd shoot it"

This one came in at 32# @ 28" and she draws 25" so it will fit her fit her great for a starter. When she is ready to go up a few pounds I can pike it 2" and it should be great for stumpin and 3d shoots. I put some fantastic copper heads on it and she looks great. Probably one of my best looking bows yet. Gonna put it under the tree for her.

I know you want pics. I'll start a new thread in a few days when I get her all dressed up and ready to go under the tree and post plenty of pics I promise
I've seen it and its pretty sharp!
Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge;
   fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
This one came in at 32# @ 28" and she draws 25"

Dang Stiks, that would be perfect for Kate out there in Montana:)

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
HOLY MOLY...something that stout could hurt a guy.

Sure would make a sweet bunny killer though
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
That was supposed to be our secret Roy. I already had the swap rigged, Now I'll have to get Kelly to do it right with no riggin and build a new bow    :laughing:
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
My boa bow left the house tonight. It was sad to see her go, but i pulled another hickory out of the hot box... Here we go. I sure miss osage though.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
This afternoon I moved a ladder stand about 6' for a little better cover. Filled my deer feeder and put out a jar of peanut butter. Scouted out a second stand location and watched the landlady's dogs tree a coon.  They couldn't decide which tree he was in, but they knew he was somewhere over head!
After I got home I hauled and stacked about 6 wheelbarrow loads of fire wood and then started finishing up the tiller on one of my Christmas bows.  I now have both bows tillered to 30".  The lighter one is 45# and the second is just under 50#. Tomorrow I'll shoot the second bow some more, finish up sanding and hopefully get some tru oil on both.

Offline mwirwicki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
The day started out in the woods.  Still trying to get some more meat in the freezer.  Deer are still nocturnal.  Only seeing deer on the trail cam at O'Dark-Thirty.

Came in at about 10:30am.  I staved out two logs from a recent osage expedition.  Of course, chased the inside splits to a growth ring and sealed.  

Worked also on a bendy-handle bamboo backed osage that I've got going.  Also, did some work on a yew bow that is now ready for rawhide backing.  (The yew billets were older than dirt and had no sapwood on them)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Worked on the coffee table for the boss, to keep me out of trouble. Also shaved one stave down some more and picked out another one to reduce so it will dry in time for maybe being my swap bow.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
We got out of school early today so I worked on final sanding the two bows I'm finishing up. Tomorrow I'll rub on some tru oil and twist some new strings.
I have maybe 26 river cane needing to be turned into arrows. Never tried that so it'll be my Christmas project until a name for the bow swap turns up!!!
Think I'll go sit in a tree for a couple-three hours before dark.  See if I can get a doe maybe.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
O tried to get in the shop today and wittle on some wood, but i just wasnt feelin it today. It always happens after i finish a bow. Its kinda like the stress of finishing one is over and i take a short break to reset my mind. Anyone else hqve that after a bow?

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
DVS, I'm getting to be the opposite. After I finish a bow I feel like I have to start another. This "hobby" has been referred to as an addiction several times. I'm beginning to see why!  :dunno:

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »
Stan, i mever lose that fire, just sometimes seem overwhelmed i guess. I have so many projects needing attention that i sometimes wait until one jumps at me. I keep pulling them out and looking them over, but not really making any progress. O guess i have a short attention span.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
I helped Grandma wrap the x-mas gifts for all the 13 grandkids. I like sleeping inside, ya know? :)

Offline Chisler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I ripped some nice osage slats.  Nice examples of quarter sawn, plain sawn and rift sawn osage.  Should make for some nice BBO's.  Wish I could find a stave that had grain like that for making a selfbow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©