Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 43933 times)

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
What's got that back-end so loaded down, Roy? PBR?

Today I began rasping the backing off a hickory backed hickory I had posted about a while back. A friend was given the bow which had been purchased from an internet site. The maker claimed the bow could be left strung indefinitely. Long story short, the bow took about 7" of set. The gentleman asked if I'd try to salvage the bow since he had nothing to lose. So...
My plan is to remove the original backing and apply a new backing of bamboo, since I have that available. The bow is long for his 26" draw. I will shorten it a little. The tips are 1" wide and I'll reduce them as well. My hopes are to provide him with a 50 lb. bow for this fall.
I'll leave the original handle as is, eventhough that will make tillering a pain.
Wish me luck.  :knothead:

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1141 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Used my new burning iron for the first time to burn in the logo on a bow i recently finished.

----------
Andy

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1142 on: June 07, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
Neat!.....Dan

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1143 on: June 07, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Sweet mark Andy!

You know your getting old when you have to pull a restroom behind your truck everywhere you go to save on pit stops.    :laughing:  

Just making sure i stay number one Roy!
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1144 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
No chance of losing that spot, Dave!   :thumbsup:

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1145 on: June 07, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Very cool Swiss! Did you make the burning iron? That would be a cool how to

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1146 on: June 08, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Today, I finished up taking the hickory backing off the salvage bow I'm working on for a friend. After preping the bow and boo slat I glued the new backing on. Just waiting for the glue to cure now. Should be able to unclamp tomorrow.
I glued in about 2" of reflex to attempt offsetting the severe set the origional bow had previously.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1147 on: June 09, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I stitched a grip on my new HHB sapling bow, laid down three courses of sinew and hide glue on a gnarly osage bow and went catfishing........thats about it.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1148 on: June 09, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Mmmmm..... Catfish....

I packed up my trade bow yesterday and I'm heading to the shop tonight to finish tillering a bow I've been shooting in.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Buffalo John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1149 on: June 09, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »
Shot about 4 dozen arrow out of my new to me Bear Bruin and went to an Eagle ceremony for one of my scouts and another one tomorrow.  Congrats Joey and Ryan

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1150 on: June 09, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Mmmmmm   I took the Montana Falcon I just got and shot it...finding the brace height sweet spot....7 3/4 is whisper quiet.  Great shooting bow....almost as good as my Fatal Styk but with more history.

Then shot my Habu some as will likely use it this year for deer season starting Aug 15....

Mounted one of the new Grizzly Kodiak 200s on an arrow to see how it would spin...perfect  :)

Put out two cameras on property I hunt...need to find spot for ground blind but holding off as it might be selling...but need to do before end of month either way.

Cut grass, edged driveway, read Bowyers Craft by Massey again while wife was out shopping.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1151 on: June 09, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Shot the first arrows off an gnarly osage bow Ive been working on for some time now.  It's only tillered to 22" so far, but shoots real smooth.

Put some pieces of snake skin on what was supposed to be my plan b trade bow.  I broke it while tillering.  The skins were used to cover the patch job.  Actually turned out pretty good for a salvage job.

PD, I arrowed a 26" flathead last week end while looking for carp.....Dan

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1152 on: June 10, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
Finished my new osage bow for elk hunting. (well, got her shooting anyways) I will pretty it up tomorrow.

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1153 on: June 10, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
for the first time in a month or better I'm getting some quality time in the shop this weekend. after weeding garden early yesterday I glued up a bbo with the new variety of bamboo I got back in march. been chomping at the bit watching it dry for the last three months. also cut out and flattened two more pieces of bamboo backing. while rummaging around in my stash of selfbow staves I happened across a pair of mismatched osage billets that I've had for about 15 years. I paired them up for some reason that escapes me now. memory ain't what it used to be, but I think these may be some leftovers from my first big osage cutting adventure back in 1995 that I just couldn't bring myself to burn at the time. feeling a bit adventuresome, I laid out the "W" splice. called it a day in the shop and dragged sprinkler and hoses out to water very thirsty garden.

this morning, I shot a few dozen arrows out of the bow I'll likely assault the local deer herd with this fall. heading back out to shop to glue up another bbo blank and cut my splice. will join the billets if it doesn't get too hot out there this afternoon. feels mighty good to be in the shop again.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1154 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Took the clamps off the salvage bow. Reduced the limb tips to about 5/8". Began retillering. It was labeled 50-55# @ 28". I plan to get the bow to 50# @ 26". The tips were not only too wide, but also thick. The outer 2/3s of the limbs did not seem to be working at all. At this point the bow is pulling 50# @ 23" and the limbs are working more fully. Hopefully I'll finish tillering tomorrow and shoot a few arrows out of this thing.

Offline GentlemanArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1155 on: June 11, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
Yesterday I glued up an r/d bow on a new form.  I was so worried about getting voids under the glass...well, I guess I used a little too much glue.  So I pulled it off the form this morning and discovered I have set a new personal and possibly tradgang record for the number and size of glue boogers on a bow!

GA

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1156 on: June 13, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Put a handle wrap on the salvage bow I've been working on, then shot a few more through it before delivering it to it's new home. I'll try to get some pics before it leaves.....Dan

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1157 on: June 13, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I went fishen:)

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1158 on: June 13, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »
I trimmed up the yard at the house we're moving to and looked at the trees a lot differently since I started building bows. I'm right next to a new wooded development that has a ton of trees that will be coming down when homes get stuffed onto the lots; I'm going to try and salvage some wood that would otherwise be dozed into piles.

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1159 on: June 16, 2012, 07:29:00 PM »
i shoot first thing in the morning. then sharpened and cleaned up some of the BH i got from the St jude auction. got a osage bow ive been working on to floor tiller and just got done flipping one tip. now im gonna eat and then go flip the other. then prob shoot again.
Kevin Day

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©