Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44025 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1360 on: September 14, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Only one of em Dave!!  Had a little incident with a feller(not me!) shootin c-bow glancin one off a barbwire and stickin one in a legbone. I made a looong stalk endin up bellycrawlin to a last clump o grass.

Got knees under me, and shot , went 6-8" low at 60 some yards on wounded doe. Arrow was slid in dirt in her bed....

Chief Yellow Hand was guidin me and he had never had to shoot 60...  LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1361 on: September 14, 2012, 11:32:00 PM »
Did I tell yunzs about the prank cell phone message I sent to Kenny tonight, Twice? LMAO   :laughing:

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1362 on: September 15, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
Bought a piece of ipe from tenbrook for attempt at bow number two. Last bow was all rasps and hand tools...going to try some power tools this time. Hoping to get a "I guess its ok". We shall see. I'm def a bowyer rookie.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1363 on: September 15, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Glued some riser pieces together for my first BBO.

Here's a picture of the bow glue-up.

And here's the bow after removing all the clamps.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1364 on: September 15, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
No luck this morning... Rain, skeeters, and humidity! Maybe later this p.m. or tomorrow.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1365 on: September 15, 2012, 07:01:00 PM »
I didn't get to hunt this morning so I just sanded a bit on this sapwood osage selfbow.

"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1366 on: September 16, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
Dave, you do a nice job on tips. You use a file, or what, son?  

Yesterday I did something I haven't done in a long time. I hunted with a 12 year old boy and his Dad. Neither I nor his Dad carried a bow, we were there for the boy. His Dad and I are good friends and he came down last weekend and we set up a two man tree stand in a very good spot for them to hunt. I hung my stand about 30 yards from theirs. We hunted just the evening and they saw two does and a huge Gray Fox, but the deer did not come close enough for a shot and neither did the fox. We saw many squirrels and ground hogs also. The kid was really excited. That made our night and they will be back in the future. The boy took a doe last year with a rifle, his first deer. He was 11 then and was under the mentor youth program to harvest the doe. He got out of the truck yesterday and told me he has a real hunting license this year:) LOL, it was a fun hunt.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1367 on: September 16, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
That's awesome Roy. Like john has at the bottom as his signature, take a kid hunting. I have taken my boys and their cousin's, plus a few of my friends that haven't ever hunted.

As far as the tips go, I just glued on a block of wood and used a farriers rasp to knock off the bulk, then a fine file to get it closer and then 60 grit paper to blend it in and final shape. No measurements either, I eyeball everything.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1368 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:00 AM »
Ok on the tips.

I guess they are ok...   :laughing:

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1369 on: September 16, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Walked around looking for an elk. Found some tracks and rubs but no elk.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1370 on: September 16, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Oh and put some raw hide on an Osage recurve.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1371 on: September 18, 2012, 06:58:00 PM »
No work today and I had the kids to deal with so the Bowshop it was. I roughed out this one and will heat it up tonight hopefully.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1372 on: September 18, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Today I watched that purty BBO bow throw up a tiny boo splinter on the edge of the top limb while pulled to 20 inches on the tree. But I kin fix it...

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1373 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
Oh that does not sound good Roy

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1374 on: September 18, 2012, 08:49:00 PM »
I hate when that happens Roy. I'm heading out to the shop in about 10 min. Hope that juju don't come here.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1375 on: September 19, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Man, Roy! Hope you can fix it, I hate losing a bow stave, especially that far along!

Well, today I went and put my season on "hold". I missed school and went to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS)in Little Rock. While I was there I let a few medical type people gouge around in my groin until they found two lymph nodes to pull out. Then they re-cut and removed a larger area where I'd had a melanoma removed a couple of weeks ago. Can't hardly walk now but it'll be better tomorrow. However, I won't be able to climb a stand for nearly a month! Good thing I like to hunt on the ground, huh?
Oh, well. The things we hafta do from time to time.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1376 on: September 20, 2012, 07:24:00 AM »
Wishing you all the best, Red!

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1377 on: September 20, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
Prayers for you Red.  The past few years I've spent a lot more time on the ground and enjoy it a lot.  Good luck this season......Dan

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1378 on: September 20, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
You know you are around a good man when he can keep his sense of humor in the tough times! Red, I will be praying for you and hope this is all over quickly.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1379 on: September 20, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
I talked a young man up over the phone.  Seems he arrowed his first buck ever the other night and lost it. He was absolutely crushed and near tears.  I told him that as long as he did EVERYTHING he could to find it he could rest easy.  I wasnt there but chatted over the phone talking him through trying to find blood etc....hate it when that happens but am glad that the kid feels remorseful over losing it but doesnt wanna quit hunting.  I told him that if he didnt feel bad he wouldnt be human.  I love this game and hopefully his next attempt will put meat in the freezer.  Going back out tonight to try and pick up the blood trail in the TALL grass
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©