Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 44048 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #1460 on: October 06, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
I don't know why I drew again after I heard the tick. I was talking to my Dad and shooting holes in a picture of a turkeys' head, and I guess I just wasn't paying attention.
Afterwards, I strung my osage bow and boy, did that target suffer!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1461 on: October 06, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »
That sucks. Glad your okay.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1462 on: October 06, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »
Ouch David, glad your ok.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1463 on: October 06, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
So am I guys. Thanks.  :)  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1464 on: October 07, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Ya know what? Sometimes I hate maken bows! Cut out a BBO today and what looked like a nice billet, had UN-seen cracks appear 3 inches from the end of the riser. I rasped in larger than normal facets to get rid of it, still can't decide to  go for it or cut the sob into pieces. It looks like cracks, or whats left could be the grain. I suppose I will go for it, not my bow anyway, it's Pearly Drummers  Bow. LMAO:) On the other hand, the horn tip overlays on the Yew Stave sanded out real nice. Going to give it another day or so and start tillering it out. On top of all this crap, pictures from my trail camera show deer with signs of EHD. And a buddy was up the other day telling me other guys around here are finding dead deer all over. Sometimes ya just can't win... But I have a great wife, great house and property, good job, and looking to retire in a year or so, and the Steelers won. So I'm off my soap box for now:)

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1465 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Got the 62# red oak board bow out and twisted the brace height up to 7" even, she  had stretched out to 6 1/4 and was shooting funky...... funny how those bows don't shoot very well hanging from the bedroom peg. And my Huskers lost.....
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1466 on: October 07, 2012, 10:51:00 PM »
Saturday I watched most of the Razorback game... They won, but I'm afraid that may not last long... Then I rode around our lease and inspected a tower stand that needs a lot of work.
This morning I spent a couple of hours slipping through a creek bottom but the wind was too strong for any serios squirrel hunting.  I did, however scope out 3 or 4 really nice hickory trees I want to harvest. After returning to camp, picked up my wife and we hung four corn feeders that I haven't had time to place so far.  Trimmed a few branches, re-brushed in my favorite ground blind, set a trail camera over a fresh scrape, and just piddled around on the lease.
About 5:00 I climbed up on a ladder stand I've had out since last season and had a doe bust me from about 25 yards. She still isn't certain what I was so she'll be back.
Everywhere my wife and I went on the lease we say deer. She sat in her box stand this afternoon and watched several doe and young'uns playing around.
You know, it's nice havin' a spouse that likes what you like
Very good day.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1467 on: October 08, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Hey! I get a double post!
Today, I skipped out on work and went to the doctor... A waste of a beautiful fall day!
At least I did spend the day with my wife, which is always a good day. Went to Tractor Supply and Gander Mountain.
Picked up a camo rope for hauling stuff up into my stand and bought a copy of PA magazine. Keenan, your Stave Master ad looks great!)
My wife decided that she appreciates my infatuation/addiction to making bows after looking at the prices of the merchandise in Gander Mountain!!! Ha! Ha! Ha! (Now may be a good time to order some more material to make a couple more bows, huh?)
Oh, the doctor visit. He said everything is clear and okie-dokie, but to come back in a month. Now if it wasn't a 2 1/2 hour drive from home I could get in a morning hunt and the next visit won't be a bust.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1468 on: October 09, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Stan, thank you. We put some work into it and wish we could do a little bigger one but at this point it's just baby steps.
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1469 on: October 09, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »
Glad every thing is fine, Red. Keenan, ya need a beer holder on the side of those stave masters:)

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1470 on: October 09, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Thanks, Roy.
And isn't that a boat seat on that Stave Master? I've seen contraptions that attach to boat seats that'll hold a beverage...

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1471 on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I finished chasing the ring on a very close ringed osage stave then I swept and vacummed the shop. After lunch I worked on some arrows and did some shooting out back. had to clean mud off the tips when I missed.  :o  
Glad we had some rain, finally.., last night.  :)

Offline Monteria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1472 on: October 14, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
I built a new 61" tip to tip R/D longbow form... We shall see if its any good in the next couple of weeks.

Steve

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1473 on: October 14, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I had to deal with a freezer that shot craps with a half a beef in it, then I skinned some snakes that thawed and then worked on ky yew bow to catch up with Roy. Ribeyes for dinner and playoff baseball! Keys go cards.

"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1474 on: October 15, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
Dave, you had a busy day!

There's only about 40 minutes left in this day, so I'm gonna hurry to make a post...

Slept in due to heavy rain early in the day. About nine, my wife and I decided the rain had ended so we headed out on the lease.  Since the wind was blowing, and the sky still looked like it could rain at any moment, Belinda and I decided to do a little work around our stands. We planted three small food plots. One for my oldest son Logan, one for Belinda, and finally one for me. (I know it's a little late, but this bum leg has kept me out of the woods until this week.) We placed a couple of trail cameras... Had to find the pic cards someone had removed  :rolleyes:  And tied some temporary sides around a tower stand using WallyWorld tarps.

Finally returned to camp, showered with scent away, ate a quick lunch of ham sandwiches and then headed for my brush blind.

I sat there from 3:30 until almost dusk with out seeing a thing. As I was leaving the blind I looked across the new clear cut that comes to a corner maybe 30 yards from my blind. Movement! In the form of several hogs! I sneaked over and placed a windrow of tree tops between the hogs and myself and attempted a stalk. The devils stayed a hundred yards, or so ahead of me for several minutes but I finally had an open shot at around 35-40 yards. Normally I wouldn't take such a shot, but these were the reason I hadn't seen a deer this afternoon! Also, hogs are a major problem down here. And I was hunting with the ambush bow Keenan made for me in last year's swap, so I wanted to make meat.

Oh well, the shot was a clean miss but they didn't go far. I moved behind another windrow and made it inside 30 yards before I had another wide open shot.

Bingo! Hog on the ground! The rest became skittish and finally ran off to allow me to finish off the unlucky sow. She was young, about 40 lbs. maybe and it took three more arras to get'er done. But I finally blooded Keenan's juniper bow. I AM STOKED!

Only wish my first kill with this terrific bow had been a whitetail, but that'll come.

Belinda is reminding me that we have work tomorrow so I'll hafta cut this story loose.

I had a great day!  :D

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1475 on: October 15, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
Sounds like a great day Red Hill... Great story! Today I tapered an ipe belly and got it ready for glue up. Now just waiting for my glue to come in the mail. Hit the woods today even though there was a down pour for most of the day. Actually took the compound boy (yes I do sometimes still hunt compound in rainy weather) Ended up stalking up on two does and making a clean 30 yard shot. Now time to focus back in on a buck with the taditional gear.

Offline Keenan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1476 on: October 15, 2012, 04:13:00 AM »
Wow Stan, That is awesome! Woke up at 1:00 am and couldn't sleep, so here I am reading your story. Thank you for such a nice surprize! Congratulations my friend
Romans 8:11 And if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you.He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who lives in you.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1477 on: October 15, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
Keenan, I had to run back up to the lease after school. I had slipped my backpack off while trying to get a better shot, and couldn't find it in the dark. After looking at the "seen of the crime" in broad daylight the shot was a legitimate 40 yard hit. This little juniper bow is fantastic!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1478 on: October 15, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
neat skins DVS
what are they-
will the red/brown stay that colour as they dry

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1479 on: October 16, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Today, I supervised/helped glue tip overlays and handle risers on four board bows. My 6 science classes have started our "somewhat" yearly bow- making science lab.
I carried several of the bows I've made for myself and the two swap bows to use as examples. Most of my students appear to be very interested but they all want to know, "how long" does it take to make a bow...
It is trully fun to see curiosity in their eyes and hilarious to watch as they attempt to use a tool for the very first time!
I can't afford boards for every student so we share our experiences on a few boards.  It's also hard to find enough red oak boards that are acceptible. Anyway, we're off to a good start and once the bows are completed we'll draw names to see who gets to keep'em!
Last year I gave away two board bows. They were both 40# pyramid board bows so they were legal for hunting in AR. One of those students used his board bow to shoot a doe! But, alas, he couldn't find her afterward. Jesse was so excited Monday when he came back to school!
Cross your fingers and hope all four boards make it into bows!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©